Coraline algae pink fusion & purple helkx

coralreefer89x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, so i started y

my tank last February 60 day cycle after which green algae possibly Coraline began growing after the diatom algae begin to tfade away literally overnight all the green disappeared literally in one day then the rocks were all white again ( i got them dry not pre cured ) anyways everything that was green turned white 100% overnight, then 3-4 days later a huge amount of diatom alge took over ..i dont know whats going on here because i should be seeing red pink purple all kinds of vivid colours from the Coraline algae ....im just getting brown now, and very rapidly

what do i do?? not looking for jokers here so if your goig to hate, go some place else ||the image with green covering the rocks was what it looked like before i added pink fusion and purple helix it stayed green for about 2 weeks then literlly over night all the green dies and now i have brown alll over my rocks, sand glass everything

cna someone please shed some light on this problem ...i don't know what else to do here ...trying a water change and long run of the protien skimmer to balance the chemistry of the water but what happened? why brown diatom algae ...what happend to the pink purple

120621949_188921936013246_347150588658891394_n (1).jpg

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline algea doesn't grow overnight like that the helix and fusion are just to seed the tank with coraline. Give it time it'll start. As people say patience. The brown algea is normal I wouldn't worry.... also try not being so aggressive with your post there are ALOT of people on this forum willing to help all you need to do is ask nicely.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed both pink and purple from arcreef. It took about 8 weeks before I started seeing little dots on my rocks. Make sure your calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, & potassium stay at recommended levels. What lights are you running?

OP
OP
C

coralreefer89x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed both pink and purple from arcreef. It took about 8 weeks before I started seei

ng little dots on my rocks. Make sure your calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, & potassium stay at recommended levels. What lights are you running?

wave point led moonlight kit and wave point blue and white T5 light

and yes i seen the dots th at thec bottle said id see exceptt thatall im getting is a second rush of diatom algae

the tank ran 60 day cycle before i added the bottled Coraline algae ..i seen the spots but before the spots all the nice green colour stuff overnight disappeared

why am i getting a second wave of d iatom algawe??? ...doesn't make any semceand what happened to the green shown in the picture icuse nect am there was the tank that should have been green that wasbare butt white

i just dtested ph nitrate nitrites and ammonia that only one showing an issue but tnothing serious j

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
patience is the key ...it took my purple helix months before it really took off..NOW - all my rock is nicely covered ..

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms, the brown algae, is using all of the available silicates. What source water are you using? Have you added any new sand or rocks? Both sand and rock leach silicates. Diatoms are nothing to worry about. It will go away on it's own in time after the silicates are used up, unless your source water is not RODI.
The green algae is/was hard green algae. I had it for a couple of months. It does go away. Coraline algae will grow in your tank whether you want it or not. You need to keep your parameters stable, then it will take off. There is no need to try to rush it. Patience and time are your best friend in reefing. The coralline will start on the back glass and cover your powerheads first. Scraping the back glass will help spread it all over your rocks. I also used the ARC stuff, never again. It didn't help. I got tons of coralline on my snails, crabs, and frag plugs. It is growing nicely now that I have all of my parameters stable. Just give it some time and it will happen.

Good Luck! Looking good so far!

OP
OP
C

coralreefer89x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but why the diatom algae>? i;ve already went thru that process and i had tons of green algae that died off in one day then diatom came BACK i had it gone 3 months ago and i added coraline algae from alfgae barn both colours and it's been a few months its already c

OP
OP
C

coralreefer89x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know what brown algaw is i dont know why my tank is doing this after 6 months later after the first brown agase
i added pink fusion and purple helix a few months ago than literally over night all that green seen in the pictuire died off over night

now im going thrua second wave of brown when it should be taking to purple and pink algaw i dont understand why im going thru a secod bout of brown algae 3-6 moths Afrer the first wave already came and gone

WHY the second wave when it SHOUD be pink nd purple

OP
OP
C

coralreefer89x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just dont understand why its doing a SECOND wave of diatom algae

the green died off over night then chicken pox like dots showed up which was suppose rto happen the bottle said so anyweay but it said thatthe different strains of algae will come after the green died off ..BNOT brown ?/

please advise

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found rocks with corraline you want to seed better than bottled. I don't like bottled, I just posted in another thread on this.

Also providing similar growth conditions to SPS helps with corraline IME.

You will be constantly fighting algae your entire reefing career, It never ends IMO. There's always some, somewhere.

By not overreacting you'll have better results, you tank will go through uglies anywhere from 1 week up to a year. every tank is different.

Getting STABILITY in your water params, but not chasing parameters, but just good maintenance on a standard schedule, will be your best bet to fight the uglies.

Also keeping nutrients lower until established has always worked really really good for me.

Good luck.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms can come and go for many reasons. Nothing “SHOULD” happen just because you want it to. These are contained ecosystems, microcosms of the natural world, and will do all sorts of things until stability is achieved. Above all, RELAX, exercise some patience and good things will come. It would also help to slow down, proofread your posts, and correct your spelling because some of your posts are borderline illegible. It’s hard to help if we can’t understand you.

OP
OP
C

coralreefer89x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know why my problem here continues to be misunderstood

imy tank has been cycled for 9months now and i fiollowed the intruction on the bottles i just dont understand why diatom when i went thru this already in the first 60 days of my tank,i've since added bottled algae and i appologize for the spelling my eyes are nearly blind \

my entire point here is i've already hone thru brown algae in the first 60 days now 9 months later i get more after i added purple helix and pink fusiob why is more diatom growing in place of it

why after months later and diatom having came and gone in the first60 days followedby green then more bron after the green died off having growing for 50 more days

OP
OP
C

coralreefer89x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms can come and go for many reasons. Nothing “SHOULD” happen just because you want it to. These are contained ecosystems, microcosms of the natural world, and will do all sorts of things until stability is achieved. Above all, RELAX, exercise some patience and good things will come. It would also help to slow down, proofread your posts, and correct your spelling because some of your posts are borderline illegible. It’s hard to help if we can’t understand you.

im not just wanting it to happen i've ADDED two bottles of coraline algae 5 months after the first wave of diatom died off

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had diatoms come back quite heavily after several months of them going away the first time. It was my RO/DI water: it had silicate in it (found using a Silicate test-kit). Once I fixed that problem, then the diatoms went away in less than a week.

Diatoms are always in our tanks, they just don't thrive without silicate. FYI, sponges will out-compete diatoms for silicate.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to get some astrea and trochus snails. They eat diatoms. Also you can get some that already have coralline on the shells and it will spread.

Why your green algae died off suddenly, no clue, but your water must be missing some nutrient or element that it needed (one that diatoms don’t need). Tanks go through many changes as they mature. Just make sure you provide a stable environment.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any fish yet? If so how many?

I notice a lot of really nice red macroalgae in your tank, is that doing well or is it not doing well now?

Do you do water changes? If so, how much?

What is your Nitrate level?
What is your Phosphate level?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to think of the cycle as more of a decreasing sine wave. Your tank will go through many fluctuations in its life time.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, I would take the time to research a lot more and understand the different things re: a new tank.

1. The nitrification cycle.
2. Nuisance Algae’s & Bacteria, diatoms, Dino, Cyano, hair algae, ulva, byprosis, bubble, et. All
3. Trace minerals and dosing and lighting for Coral growth.

Coraline Algae is a calcifying algae and encrusts.

in my tanks has always and only grown in favorable and good conditions similar for Coral growth.

It is an encrusting algae, meaning it’s also going to use elements in the water to grow.

If you have spores in the water they’re still there.

By getting your tank to a stable and healthy point in general you will get your Coraline growth.

You can’t just do XYZ to grow Coraline you have to get your entire tank to a stable and proper condition. When you understand the above 3 points enough you’ll be able to do that on your own.

Back