Coraline algae, what are the best methods you’ve used?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out a faster way to grow coraline or the most efficient way.
Majority will say it will come with the right parameters and overtime which is true if you already have some on a snail or frag plug ect. Once it start to take off you can turn off your flow and use a toothbrush and scrub the coralline and let it settle, but it 100% must be introduced to a new system and snails are perfect for that.

Upvote 0

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple up for some reason works very in speeding up coralline growth. No idea why because I'm pretty sure its just calcium. But dosing that stuff I went from a snails pace as far as growth goes to it covering whole rocks and sections so fast I could see the diff day to day. Again in theory I have no idea how it works but in practice it worked really well for me.

Upvote 0

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple up for some reason works very in speeding up coralline growth. No idea why because I'm pretty sure its just calcium. But dosing that stuff I went from a snails pace as far as growth goes to it covering whole rocks and sections so fast I could see the diff day to day. Again in theory I have no idea how it works but in practice it worked really well for me.
This is what they say:
How does it work? Purple-Up™ uses a unique dual method approach to coralline algae acceleration. It contains ionic calcium which immediately raises dissolved calcium levels in your aquarium water. At the same time Super Sea Calcium™ (a 10 micron aragonite powder derived from natural seawater) targets the live rock surface. Super Sea Calcium™ dissolves in situ; delivering calcium, strontium, magnesium, and carbonate right where it’s needed. Purple-Up™ also replenishes iodine; an essential element for coralline algae tissues that quickly becomes depleted in closed systems.
Obviously, you should take manufacturer claims with a bucket of salt, but it makes some sense as to why it would be effective.

Upvote 0

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coraline product from ARC works really well. Ive used it in my last two systems with great success.
I've used this twice. Once to good affect, and the second time immediately had a patch of turf algae pop up, with no other additions to the tank in the meantime. Absolutely could have been a coincidence, but worth the note.

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introducing live coralline algae (from live rock, shell, whatever), ensuring you have proper, stable reef conditions in a mature tank, and keeping PH above 8.1. You can buy coralline in a bottle, but IMO it’s unnecessary, expensive, and won’t give you any more coralline than introducing a shell with some coralline on it, neither will grow coralline if you don’t have proper conditions. If you have coralline already in your tank, and it’s not spreading/growing, you don’t have proper conditions for it.

Upvote 1

Waynefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 2 years I barely had any coraline. Learned that 0 nitrate and phosphate were not good for overall reef health. I started dosing them but went too much and got hair algae, but also got a dramatic increase in coraline. I’m tweaking my nitrate and phosphate now to reduce hair algae but sustain coraline.

I also picked up some Seachem strontium. Will see how that goes over the next few weeks.

Upvote 0

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used ARC coralline-in-a-bottle recently when setting up a new system and it started growing within a month.

Upvote 0

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introducing live coralline algae (from live rock, shell, whatever), ensuring you have proper, stable reef conditions in a mature tank, and keeping PH above 8.1. You can buy coralline in a bottle, but IMO it’s unnecessary, expensive, and won’t give you any more coralline than introducing a shell with some coralline on it, neither will grow coralline if you don’t have proper conditions. If you have coralline already in your tank, and it’s not spreading/growing, you don’t have proper conditions for it.
It is a good point that if you do not have the proper conditions for coralline growth, it will not grow no matter what you put in the tank.

I will also add that from experience the ARC product WILL give you more coralline than introducing a shell with coralline on it in the short term.

Upvote 0

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a doubt seeding with live coralline will be the fastest provide good environment (seeding is not adding something covered with coralline to the system). The type of rock will also make a huge difference along with if its "cycled".
Starting from scratch, I've had crazy good success with Marco rock, cycled with Dr. Tim's fishless method, then adding Reef Brite Live Rock Enhanced. White to purple in five weeks where photosynthesis is occurring on the rock.

Upvote 0

therremans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to try the ARC product but find it a bit of a scam.. or marketing genius? It’s not only very pricey at $22 a bottle but they knew that people would want both colors of coraline, the purple and pink. So most consumers will choose to spend $44 on two bottles of the stuff. I just can’t justify it. If anyone has some extra they can shave off or toss a snail in a bag. I’ll pay the shipping! Thank you.

Upvote 0

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to try the ARC product but find it a bit of a scam.. or marketing genius? It’s not only very pricey at $22 a bottle but they knew that people would want both colors of coraline, the purple and pink. So most consumers will choose to spend $44 on two bottles of the stuff. I just can’t justify it. If anyone has some extra they can shave off or toss a snail in a bag. I’ll pay the shipping! Thank you.
If youre tank is capable of growing corraline algae you will likely not be disappointed with the ARC product. I know i have not been with the last two uses in two different systems. It will likely cost you about the same if i shipped some from my tank to you and it would take alot longer to get going.

Upvote 0

therremans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to your LFS and make the owner personally scrape 2 bags of coralline for you, it worked for me. Lol
That’s a good idea, first become friendly with them. Did he charge you anything?

What I like about the bottled stuff, is that I could disperse it between three 20 gallon tanks. My concern is that my pH is a tad low here. I’m going to build a co2 scrubber and see how far I can get it above 8.0.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back