Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and on the cancer sticker.... that's looney Cali for you.

At the risk of inflaming a war between people "who just know' the facts vs those who are actually scientists working in this area, i need to clear the air on the 'looney cali" comments.

Prop 65 warnings are largely based on findings published by the IARC (international agency for research on cancer), a division of the World Health Organization. These derive from analyses of the entirety of the peer reviewed scientific literature. This stands in stark contrast to the EPA and other regulatory agencies who largely base their decisions on unpublished studies, performed by the companies who produce and sell the chemicals in question, are usually kept as -trade secrets' that are unavailable for independent scrutiny and not peer-reviewed. Industry has a sorry history in performing their own safety studies...

If you wish to adopt the view that everything causes cancer, you are free to do so. However such an opinion is not supported by data, merely 'common sense" and industry propaganda. The same folks would have you believe that all substances in the universe are toxic, even water and oxygen. Most of us dispute such views but you are free to believe anything you want.

There is virtually no doubt that chemicals listed under Prop 65 increase the hazard of cancer. You may believe that the doses to which you are exposed are too low to increase your risk of cancer. They may or may not be. Cancers typically take many years to develop and it is often difficult to establish cause and effect in humans. It is not difficult to prove in animal models.

While you could say that animals are not humans and the results might be different, all safety studies are performed in animals. It makes little sense to believe the results of safety assessments from animal studies (usually performed or sponsored by the manufacturers) while ignoring hazard studies performed by scientists with no vested interest in the outcome...

Ar the end of the day, are you better off having been provided information on which to base any decisions you make or better off making such decisions based on little to no information? I think this is an easy choice. You are totally free to ignore warnings and live life as you please, even after having been warned...

Last edited:

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They fit fine in the 32 with the lid on too. You just have to undo the pack peg so the back of the hood can be raised a few centimeters so the skimmer doesn’t overflow. Just curious why is topless not an option? It’s better for your tank and it’s inhabitants in every aspect.
Because I have a goby, firefish and Blenny (plus 2 clowns and a chromis) so the fish are jumpers (first 3) and I’d rather not find them on the floor... I’m sure there are many people that say they keep those fish in topless tanks but I have also read and seen MANY of them that have jumped out and it’s really recommended to keep a lid with those fish and I just prefer the look of it with the lid... then if I remove it I have to buy new lights etc... and the ones that are in the lid grow my corals just fine because I only have 1 sps because I got it for free... and it’s at the top of the rock work and is growing/doing great... the rest are just zoas/palys, and some lps and they are all growing great... so no need to change anything if it’s working :)

My larger tanks all have screen tops but this one is fine the way it is... it’s has an awc and I use the Red Sea program in it and all has been well....

But I would love to see what you mean about raising the lid or whatever because no one anywhere has been able to fit that skimmer.... I have spent hours looking over every forum and asking people like marine depot and brs and they all say it won’t fit... so if you could explain what you mean I’d love that because I would love to upgrade it....

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wish to adopt the view that everything causes cancer, you are free to do so. However such an opinion is not supported by data, merely 'common sense" and industry propaganda. The same folks would have you believe that all substances in the universe are toxic, even water and oxygen. Most of us dispute such views but you are free to believe anything you want..

This is a joke... a very common one. No one truly believes that everything causes cancer.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the state of California, everything we come in contact with will kill us ... yes, a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much ....

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I have a goby, firefish and Blenny (plus 2 clowns and a chromis) so the fish are jumpers (first 3) and I’d rather not find them on the floor... I’m sure there are many people that say they keep those fish in topless tanks but I have also read and seen MANY of them that have jumped out and it’s really recommended to keep a lid with those fish and I just prefer the look of it with the lid... then if I remove it I have to buy new lights etc... and the ones that are in the lid grow my corals just fine because I only have 1 sps because I got it for free... and it’s at the top of the rock work and is growing/doing great... the rest are just zoas/palys, and some lps and they are all growing great... so no need to change anything if it’s working :)

My larger tanks all have screen tops but this one is fine the way it is... it’s has an awc and I use the Red Sea program in it and all has been well....

But I would love to see what you mean about raising the lid or whatever because no one anywhere has been able to fit that skimmer.... I have spent hours looking over every forum and asking people like marine depot and brs and they all say it won’t fit... so if you could explain what you mean I’d love that because I would love to upgrade it....
I had all of those fish in my biocube none of them jumped, but whatever floats your boat.

I threw away my biocube the other day so I don’t have pics. But there’s two holes on the back of the hood with a peg that slides through, if you take the peg out the skimmer will fit and the hood will fit. The back of the hood will just be raised a few centimeters.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have I done my

“it’s the CIA man, Cali already overpopulated. So stay out or risk cancer” bit yet?

04D0C88E-E4A6-4800-877D-72E2172D49C2.gif

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because an exposure to certain chemicals may increase the risk of getting cancer does not mean that the use of it in manufacturing an item increases the risk to the end user. Even having toner for a copier on the premises requires posting. As to an air stone operated skimmer make sure to replace the limewood frequently

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back