Corallife Biocube Cancer Warning

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered why they specified "known in the state of california" couldnt they just as easily say this chemical has been known to cause cancer?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything causes cancer to the state of California. It's a liability sticker. Proceed. You'd have a better chance of winning power ball.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered why they specified "known in the state of california" couldnt they just as easily say this chemical has been known to cause cancer?
No, because it only append in CA. Nowhere else!
Everything causes cancer to the state of California. It's a liability sticker. Proceed. You'd have a better chance of winning power ball.
Twice. And then getting struck by lightning. ;)

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We in California are pretty crazy. Every day, I must encounter 30 of those stickers. And the ones "Materials in this container/bus/chemical/anything have been known to the state of California to cause birth defects, please consult a doctor if you are unsure"

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW it’s the state attorney general saying that he finds enough evidence to deem it unsafe, whereas the federal attorney general for all of the US doesn’t find enough evidence to deem it unsafe. Also fwiw CA attorney general is extremely liberal, whereas the federal attorney general, William Barr, tends to have a more conservative view.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel any better it’s the packaging that’s going to give you cancer, not the tank.

Unless of course you keep styrofoam in your tank. But then I suppose the warning would actually be for the fish...

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No one else is willing to acknowledge it, and product manufacturers state it that way to be passive aggressive against and dismissive toward California.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d return that skimmer fwiw, it’s bad and will mess up your water big time as soon as the wood degrades. Go with the aquaticlife 115 if you have the biocube 32.
They won’t fit into the new biocube 32’s without cutting and such... and a lot of people don’t want to cut up and void their warranties... the skimmer works just fine if you change out the pump and don’t leave the limestone in for months at a time... but that seems pretty simple...
If you can show me how to fit an aquatic life 115 in a stock biocube 32 with the lid on I would love to see how because there is no skimmers that fit that tank without modifying it by cutting it etc... so pleeeeease tell me how you got it in there and closed the lid because there are many of us that would like to switch but it does not work

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d return that skimmer fwiw, it’s bad and will mess up your water big time as soon as the wood degrades. Go with the aquaticlife 115 if you have the biocube 32.

I agree with above, I initially ran this skimmer with BC29, and then switched it out for aquatic life 115 in chamber 1. Works much better!

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above, I initially ran this skimmer with BC29, and then switched it out for aquatic life 115 in chamber 1. Works much better!
How did you get it to fit with the lid?
No one can seem to get them to fit... not in the 32g one (newest one)
It will fit in the old oceanic ones and it will fit in the 29’s but nobody I have come across on like 6 forums have been able to get it to fit in the 32’s and have the lid close... (and topless is not an option for me)
So I would love if someone could post a picture of how they have it in there...

** oh nvm sorry I just seen you said you had the 29... thats the problem they changed the lid and other parts and now nothing but theirs fits... I have it working better (like I said I switched out the pump for a whisper 10 and I change the limewood monthly so it does pull skimmate decently now) but I can’t find another option and I’d like one lol

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will fit in the old oceanic ones and it will fit in the 29’s but nobody I have come across on like 6 forums have been able to get it to fit in the 32’s and have the lid close... (and topless is not an option for me)

** oh nvm sorry I just seen you said you had the 29... thats the problem they changed the lid and other parts and now nothing but theirs fits... I have it working better (like I said I switched out the pump for a whisper 10 and I change the limewood monthly so it does pull skimmate decently now) but I can’t find another option and I’d like one lol

IMG_2293.JPG

It’s hard to believe, but they made the display bigger and the back area smaller in the 32. But here is my 29. Aquatic sealife 115 to the right in chamber 1. Media basket and refugium basket in chamber 2. Refugium light mounted on wall behind tank. Chamber 3 has return pump and ATO waterlevel device.
When I ran that oceanic wooden air diffuser skimmer, I found that I had to mount it higher, otherwise it would produce lots of light colored skimmate. Still even after, skimmate was always light colored and copious.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they changed too much... they won’t fit in the 32’s ... they not only changed the shape like you said but they also changed the slope of the lid which is the biggest issue ...

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coffee now causes cancer in CA... They've really diluted the impact of Prop 65 warnings...

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They fit fine in the 32 with the lid on too. You just have to undo the pack peg so the back of the hood can be raised a few centimeters so the skimmer doesn’t overflow. Just curious why is topless not an option? It’s better for your tank and it’s inhabitants in every aspect.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many buildings in California have large plaques saying the same thing. I see them as pretty much meaningless. It’s only a matter of time before water bottles have warnings that overconsumption can kill you, and that retailers may not serve you if your urine is too light.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back