CORALLINE ALGAE….. our hobby’s inconsistent mystery

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae can grow completely out of control, covering glass, powerheads, shells of inverts etc. All of this with seemingly no effort at all by the reef hobbyist. Or it can be completely nonexistent. I’ve read the many post on both sides of issue as I’ve found myself with an abundance of “red coralline” but no pink or purple. There are different camps on the issue. Those who say without question, “it’s lighting”. Or it’s definitely the lacking of Calcium or Magnesium. These arguments both sound reasonable but not at all in my experience. They seem to me to be without research. My sps corals are growing beautifully. Calcium and Magnesium both present and accounted for. Lighting? Every square inch of our tanks have varying par values. Surely if the lights are too bright near the top of the tank where coralline may not grab hold. There’s always shadier areas all over the tank for coralline to flourish. I appreciate reefers sharing what they might believe to be their recipe for coralline success but what you’re saying worked for you may not be what caused the coralline algae to explode in your system when it did. We can all take “Cause and Effect” to the bank. But obviously pinpointing that cause hasn’t found it’s way to the laboratory yet.
1. Those out there who are still waiting for that small round purple spot to show up on their Nero 5, have you yet heard anything scientifically groundbreaking or a reasonable argument as to why this “algae” seemingly does whatever it want to?
85120782-ED64-4A2B-8442-920ABBF30DD0.jpeg

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it does what it wants to. Lol
-d
I picture each little spore with its arms folded saying, “ No! I’m not going to attach to anything in this tank!!!”

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have to scrape the back of the tank and re-soak all my gyres in EzeClean for a weekend. When I scraped the sides this week (not anywhere near as bad as the back) the water turned magenta for a few hours in the evening...

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get rid of it in my DT. If it would just grow on the rocks, that would be fine. But it grows like 5 times faster on glass than it does on rock it seems like. AKA constant scraping but spotty on the rocks still.

I don't have it in my 29g because the alk is always too low. When I do water changes and the alk stays up, it'll grow but the urchins eat it quickly. Not much mystery why in that tank.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have to scrape the back of the tank and re-soak all my gyres in EzeClean for a weekend. When I scraped the sides this week (not anywhere near as bad as the back) the water turned magenta for a few hours in the evening...
I’m confident that even a “‘Magenta Transfusion “ from your tank to my tank wouldn’t help??? :confused:

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get rid of it in my DT. If it would just grow on the rocks, that would be fine. But it grows like 5 times faster on glass than it does on rock it seems like. AKA constant scraping but spotty on the rocks still.

I don't have it in my 29g because the alk is always too low. When I do water changes and the alk stays up, it'll grow but the urchins eat it quickly. Not much mystery why in that tank.
I’m recently retired, I have time to scrape it. I literally put my reading glasses on, get my face right up to the glass of my 180g and look for any sign. But still no sign.

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35' apart, a peninsula counter to divide the kitchen from living room. In the display, it would grow on the plastic weir and powerheads, little patches on the rock here and there. QT observation tank had to keep on top of it to see through the glass. I'd fill the Evo w/ display water even, the display got fresh mix, QT recycled water.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35' apart, a peninsula counter to divide the kitchen from living room. In the display, it would grow on the plastic weir and powerheads, little patches on the rock here and there. QT observation tank had to keep on top of it to see through the glass. I'd fill the Evo w/ display water even, the display got fresh mix, QT recycled water.
Unbelievable! :D

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m recently retired, I have time to scrape it. I literally put my reading glasses on, get my face right up to the glass of my 180g and look for any sign. But still no sign.
It won't be on the glass first. It covers plastic parts like powerheads first then rocks. Then glass.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back