Coralline algae and nuisance algae

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m trying to grow coralline algae by supplement dosing. I was just curious if doing this could stop the hair algae in my tank

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will still have GHA, my tank is pretty much covered in coralline, but the GHA is still there too.
7224EB17-800D-45C2-893B-D27E446774F7.jpeg

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it helps. Will it go away? Nope! But ime it will move into patches rather than blanketing the tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get a fair amount of coraline growth but still GHA in patches also.

It is healthy to have some green and hair algae in a tank right or do you want it spotless of algae except maybe in the refugium?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get a fair amount of coraline growth but still GHA in patches also.

It is healthy to have some green and hair algae in a tank right or do you want it spotless of algae except maybe in the refugium?
It’s not “healthy” per say, but it’s not horrible either. It would be ideal to not have ANY algae, but that’s an impossible task. Even very experienced reefers get algae occasionally.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not “healthy” per say, but it’s not horrible either. It would be ideal to not have ANY algae, but that’s an impossible task. Even very experienced reefers get algae occasionally.
I’m stating to doubt I even have any gha because when I look at pictures my gha doesn’t look nearly half as bad. Could it be anything else that’s draining my phosphate and nitrate?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m stating to doubt I even have any gha because when I look at pictures my gha doesn’t look nearly half as bad. Could it be anything else that’s draining my phosphate and nitrate?
How many corals do you have versus how many fish? Maybe there is not enough to satisfy your corals needs. Heavy in heavy out is the common practice.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 fish and 5 corals
Well I guess normally someone asks for your parameters, how old is the tank. Lights, etc... I will tell you that I dosed that purple helix stuff several times about 3 months ago. My tank is 7 months old. Once I really focused on my numbers particularly nitrate and phosphate the tank seemed to finally start balancing out and moving to the next phase of maturity. At 7 months now, I have decent coraline starting, still patches of GHA on rocks, left over diatoms or cyano on the sand but everything seems to slowly be going away and improving.

I would focus heavily on your water numbers and make sure your light and flow is good not to intense. Patience wins this battle. I also started focusing on natural approach. Only carbon bag in my sump and skimmer. No chemical media. Phosphate at .08 today and nitrates 7.5. Cal 478 alk 8.7, mag 1430, salinity 1.026. Temp 77.3. I check these 2 or 3x per week now and if I keep similar numbers the tank stays stabil and coraline has been growing. This is a very challenging hobby and my hats off to those that can maintain those big beautiful reefs and fish. I have a lot to learn.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess normally someone asks for your parameters, how old is the tank. Lights, etc... I will tell you that I dosed that purple helix stuff several times about 3 months ago. My tank is 7 months old. Once I really focused on my numbers particularly nitrate and phosphate the tank seemed to finally start balancing out and moving to the next phase of maturity. At 7 months now, I have decent coraline starting, still patches of GHA on rocks, left over diatoms or cyano on the sand but everything seems to slowly be going away and improving.

I would focus heavily on your water numbers and make sure your light and flow is good not to intense. Patience wins this battle. I also started focusing on natural approach. Only carbon bag in my sump and skimmer. No chemical media. Phosphate at .08 today and nitrates 7.5. Cal 478 alk 8.7, mag 1430, salinity 1.026. Temp 77.3. I check these 2 or 3x per week now and if I keep similar numbers the tank stays stabil and coraline has been growing. This is a very challenging hobby and my hats off to those that can maintain those big beautiful reefs and fish. I have a lot to learn.
How could I raise my nitrates ?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could I raise my nitrates ?
The obvious is more fish and feeding. I only had 2 fish I'm my tank for 3 months and kept adding corals. Nitrates and phosphate bottomed out and bad things happened in the tank. I double dose neophos and neonitro from brightwell. Took several weeks before I started seeing measurable numbers. Once the water parameters got back in line tank began clearing up followed by coraline starting. With 7 fish now no supplemental dosing is needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back