Coralline Algae in a Bottle Experiment

Scubajunior

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven't found an definitive answer on rather Coralline Algae in a Bottle works as intended. Seems split. I have seen videos and pictures saying it works so I thought I'd have my own "experiment" to see if it worked for me. I just started a new tank with reef saver rock. Everything is new inside of the tank, so no coraline at all. I have no snails with coralline either. My parameters are at the required measurements for optimal growth according to their sheet. I followed directions perfectly. I will keep this updated with new pictures as signs of coraline growth begin.

Start of test
20190905_005659.jpg

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see an analysis of the contents of their bottle. First bottle did nothing. Complained on Amazon and without any comms or email they sent a second replacement bottle. The second bottle had a dime size chunk of coraline algae pebble in it. Made me question the product.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they state that some of the strands they use will quickly adhere to the bottle in shipping, so they have it on a surface instead, and others don't so they ship them free floating in the bottle. Some batches lack the first. At least that's their explanation.

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small piece of coralline encrusted liverock from Your lfs should do or when ya get some corals scape off the coralline off the plugs or if ya know any reefers scape some off there glass and add to your tank .

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd love to see an analysis of the contents of their bottle. First bottle did nothing. Complained on Amazon and without any comms or email they sent a second replacement bottle. The second bottle had a dime size chunk of coraline algae pebble in it. Made me question the product.

The purpose of the pebble of coralline algae is to function as an indicator. If the pebble has faded to white, the bottle has expired. The primary inoculation method is the spores in the bottles. It typically takes 6-8 weeks for results. You will need to monitor Ca and Alk

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, it works very very well. Curious to see how the blue looks.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of the pebble of coralline algae is to function as an indicator. If the pebble has faded to white, the bottle has expired. The primary inoculation method is the spores in the bottles. It typically takes 6-8 weeks for results. You will need to monitor Ca and Alk
Thanks for the info. I make to make clear it wasn't your companies product. It was another's.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe they state that some of the strands they use will quickly adhere to the bottle in shipping, so they have it on a surface instead, and others don't so they ship them free floating in the bottle. Some batches lack the first. At least that's their explanation.

They/We include a bottle brush with all the orders of Coralline algae. This brush is for scrubbing all of the coralline spores off the sidewalls as they will settle and start growing on the side of the bottle.

The indicator stone is supposed to be purple or pink and indicate bottle viability.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They/We include a bottle brush with all the orders of Coralline algae. This brush is for scrubbing all of the coralline spores off the sidewalls as they will settle and start growing on the side of the bottle.

The indicator stone is supposed to be purple or pink and indicate bottle viability.
Ahh cool, I didn't know which brand the OP was referring too, and I had read what I repeated here maybe 4 months ago off a bottled coralline product company's website, before I gave it a spin.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahh cool, I didn't know which brand the OP was referring too, and I had read what I repeated here maybe 4 months ago off a bottled coralline product company's website, before I gave it a spin.

I assume they were talking about Arc Reef Purple Helix/Pink Fusion. They are the only live coralline in a bottle product that I know of.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought Arc purple and after reading this I’m pretty certain mine was dead on arrival. The chips in the bottles were white. Of course when it arrived it was 108 outside so I’m sure that had something to do with it.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had bought Arc purple and after reading this I’m pretty certain mine was dead on arrival. The chips in the bottles were white. Of course when it arrived it was 108 outside so I’m sure that had something to do with it.

Usually, only one side of the chips have coralline coverage. I'm pretty sure they break a plate with coralline all over it.

Did you purchase it from us? If so, please reach out to us and we will get you taken care of.

If you bought from ARCReef direct, you should reach out to them, they will get you taken care of.

OP
OP
Scubajunior

Scubajunior

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Arc purple and pink bottles with dry rock and fish only till it grew. It worked for me with no other possible source of coraline.
That's good to know. I have now had it running for a month and a half. No signs of growth for me. I did just add some coral a week ago that had coralline so the "experiment" is tainted now. Parameters have been close to what they recommend. PH has been 7.9 the whole time though. And phosphates and nitrates have been undetectable. Not sure how much that would effect it but I'm sure it does some.

A small piece of coralline encrusted liverock from Your lfs should do or when ya get some corals scape off the coralline off the plugs or if ya know any reefers scape some off there glass and add to your tank .
Yeah it looks like that's the route I'm going to have to take. Was worth a try for the sake of science lol

ive been back and forth on the idea of bottled corraline for a longtime. the reviews are literally all over the board. so ill be following along to see how it goes for you. thanks!
Well I don't have any conclusive evidence cause I didn't get an coralline yet. However my parameters warrant completely ideal to their recommendation.
I assume they were talking about Arc Reef Purple Helix/Pink Fusion. They are the only live coralline in a bottle product that I know of.
Yes that's the product I used.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You low nutrients but you don't want NO nutrients or it will never grow. I recommend raising nutrients to 0.10 ppm minimum phosphates and between 1-5 ppm nitrates. Also look into your alkalinity before raising pH.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current picture of the tank. I also had a small diatom bloom after adding the coralline.
20191102_202652-01.jpeg

If you wanted to run a true experiment the frags you added will skew your results. You'll never know if the bottle worked or if spores came in on the frags...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back