Coralline Algae in a bottle, myth or fact?

BRS

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
I have no experience with this magic in a bottle and my tank is on the far side of the ugly phase so I'd like to start to grow coralline algae to cover the bare rocks.
I purchased a few snails with pink algae on them but nothing yet in a month or so (yeah I know it takes time, been there) but I'd thought I'd give this a shot and try to chronicle any growth.
Anyone with good reviews?

Here goes nothing!!!
20210505_124658.jpg

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

dvgyfresh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Worked for me, just kno it’s a bunch of different strains in the bottle and the one that is most suitable will thrive , I’ve got green coraline algae / pink / purple. My issue is that I have asterina starfish that love to eat it, I also use purple tech to increase the growth

OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Worked for me, just kno it’s a bunch of different strains in the bottle and the one that is most suitable will thrive , I’ve got green coraline algae / pink / purple. My issue is that I have asterina starfish that love to eat it, I also use purple tech to increase the growth
I've had pink and purple, it would be really nice to have green. You got lucky

Suohhen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Brown and green are the beginning color of coralline although there is a legitimate green variety as well. I have never used a product like this but I can say coralline is very sensitive so it is a good barometer to hiw stable/mature the system is. Use the product or not the best thing I can recommend is to read up on the care of coralline.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I bought some of that same stuff recently. Before I ordered it I asked the same question. Here are the responses:

and

Last edited:

denvereefroli

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've used it and it works. It will not work in a new/immature, unstable system. If you have stable parameters that'll grow coralline, you can grow sps/lps. Most people who failed w/this product put it in too soon, as did I the first time around. Second time around, it started within a week, and everywhere.

Bluefish17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've used this stuff on a pretty new tank is was only 2 months old and I used dry rock, about 2 months later i had purple corraline algae all over my rocks and glass. It really does work