Coralline Algae or bad algae (doesn’t scrub off glass or rock)

tjsweldind94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this tank for 2 months, I had some Cyanobacteria (red slime algae) but got that under control, im trying to figure out what’s up with this green algae I’m fighting is it coralline algae or a bad algae, I just tried reducing the intensity of my reefled 50 I’ve tried to scrub it off the rocks with a tooth brush doesn’t budge but it now looks to be on my sand bed and glass it doesn’t just wipe off the glass picture is with just white light on it doesn’t look bad with blue added

PS corals are doing great closed cause the light is off normally now just wanted to snap a picture

water perimeters
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 2-5ppm
Calcium 410ppm
Magnesium 1280ppm
Alkalinity 8.1dkh
Phosphates 0.1ppm

3F91028E-4F62-4183-B6A7-438923505502.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular green algae. Time to get an army of snails. Trochus and cerith are probably best. Astrea are good too, but if they fall onto sand upside down they can’t flip cack over.
A small conch for the sandbed may be good as well.
Once CUC and algae are balanced, they will keep up with new algae growth.
Depending on size of tank, we can give you pointers on how many of each.
Green algae is a normal and good thing in the tank that is newer.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any elbow grease in the house? ;)

If it is a glass tank, a safety razor will take the stuff right off. And I would suggest doing it right BEFORE a water change so that any free floating algae will get sucked up and out of the tank.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any elbow grease in the house? ;)

If it is a glass tank, a safety razor will take the stuff right off. And I would suggest doing it right BEFORE a water change so that any free floating algae will get sucked up and out of the tank.
That looks like an acrylic tank.
Do not use a razor on acrylic

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is why I said "If it is a glass tank". :)
I did see you write that, and I did not mean to write that like I was nitpicking your post, certainly not my intent.
Only written for OP because scratching acrylic sucks. I made that mistake before, unfortunately.

OP
OP
tjsweldind94

tjsweldind94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular green algae. Time to get an army of snails. Trochus and cerith are probably best. Astrea are good too, but if they fall onto sand upside down they can’t flip cack over.
A small conch for the sandbed may be good as well.
Once CUC and algae are balanced, they will keep up with new algae growth.
Depending on size of tank, we can give you pointers on how many of each.
Green algae is a normal and good thing in the tank that is newer.
My tank is a corallife biocube 32 if you couple help me figure out how many of each for a clean up crew that would be amazing I have two sapphire hermits and 2 snails so far not keeping up it looks like btw the corallife website says it’s glass bur I have seen mixed things it’s like a softer glass if it is

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 fluval.
I have about..
4 atrea snail
3 cerith snail
5 blue hermits...they have not killed any of my healthy snails .
5 micro brittle stars
A few hitch hiking asternia starfish

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a corallife biocube 32 if you couple help me figure out how many of each for a clean up crew that would be amazing I have two sapphire hermits and 2 snails so far not keeping up it looks like btw the corallife website says it’s glass bur I have seen mixed things it’s like a softer glass if it is
I would start with about 6 trochus, 6 astrea and 10 cerith.

Astrea and trochus will keep glass and rock clean. Cerith will eat algae on glass and some on the gravel.

you may want to get something to stir your sandbed. I like the tiger nassarius. But it doesn’t eat algae.

Back