Coralline Algae Walls

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of a solid coralline algae wall, but some do not. Who has 'em and who loves 'em?

IMG_20200409_103639_MP.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate for some reason. I always scrape mine. It’s nice in the beginning. But after keeping a few tanks, you’ll learn it’s not the beauty but the beast rather.

Multra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it, just wish it would grow on something besides just glass in my tank. It will completely cover the front and sides of my tank to where you can't see in, but won't touch the rocks or the back glass/overflow box.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! I only scrape it off my front glass on my current tank. When I upgrade the tank I will aim to keep the front and both sides clean to have that side view as well.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to scrape it off the front and both sides weekly.
Was going to paint the back and bottom of my tank back to hide wires and bottom to simulate sand. Not needed as the back is coralline covered and hides the wires. Bottom is covered too.
The tank does use alot of alk/cal but carx handles it.
I like the look some dont! You cant tell the difference between my live rock and caribsea that I started with due to coralline growth.
20200407_201716.jpg
20200303_194358.jpg

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate it. It reduce the light reflection from glass back to tank.

Hmmm I wouldn't find this to be a real problem. LEDs typically go in straight line, as well as blacking out the sides and back would be comparable to just having coralline covering those panels.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the black film off the back of my redsea for a more clean look to the tank, so i dont like it cause i have to scrape it ALL the time, but if it were still black i wouldn't care one way or another.

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it, just wish it would grow on something besides just glass in my tank. It will completely cover the front and sides of my tank to where you can't see in, but won't touch the rocks or the back glass/overflow box.

I have the same thing happening in my tank. Its a see through Peninsula. Coralline grows solid on the end walls but there is barely on a trace on the rocks. Maybe the lighting is too intense directly below the Radions. My SPS like it so that's all that matters :)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same thing happening in my tank. Its a see through Peninsula. Coralline grows solid on the end walls but there is barely on a trace on the rocks. Maybe the lighting is too intense directly below the Radions. My SPS like it so that's all that matters :)
smoother surfaces are more adapt at growing Coraline Algae.. No idea why

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do want to clarify something about Coralline algae: it is not all the same species. Some grow significantly faster and become much more a nuisance than other slower growing strains.

Last edited:

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on my back glass. I was gone for 6 months and the person taking care of it never scraped the glass. After killing my clam one day scraping a section off I now just leave it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back