coralline algae

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the arc reef purple and pink additives back in early June. if I haven't seen coralline start to grow yet should I try adding those pink/purple additives again? I added some snails that had coralline growing on their shells a few months back too. I've also been dosing vibrant to clean up a hair algae issue. Does vibrant affect those arc reef purple and pink additives?

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added the arc reef purple and pink additives back in early June. if I haven't seen coralline start to grow yet should I try adding those pink/purple additives again? I added some snails that had coralline growing on their shells a few months back too. I've also been dosing vibrant to clean up a hair algae issue. Does vibrant affect those arc reef purple and pink additives?
Just wait it out that stuff never works just expensive snake oil

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you really want to get something to work go to your lfs and ask them to scrape you coraline alage of

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s does work I have used it before on all dry rock system. It did take a while to start to see it. I know for a fact it worked because at that time there was no other way it got in to my system did not have a clean up crew. It was just fish.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi! I added one bottle of purple helix and saw the first spots of growth within 3 weeks. I added vibrant once or twice afterwards as well and don’t think it would affect the coralline negatively. I did get my bottle shipped overnight, so I’m not sure if temperature or some other transit issue might have affected yours. Has your pH and alkalinity been stable? What kind of lighting are you using? I noticed the first growth in rocks by the bottom in lower PAR areas, oddly enough. I’d definitely give another bottle a try.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be better spend on some live rock. I don’t think it’s only the coralline algae that’s needed, but the bacteria that forms a biofilm on the dead rock before the coralline can even start to grow.

I was trying to seed mine for months with chips from my nano. Had snails in the tank with coralline, and nothing. I added the live rock and now it’s starting to grow on the other rocks.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph 8-8.3
salinity 1.026
mag-1400
alk 8.5-9
cal 400-450
thats good. I didn't see coralline grow until I had a pH of at least 8.0.
I've just started seeing coralline algae grow and my tank is a little over a year old. Dosing Kalkwasser seemed like it really helped it take off. Are your nitrate and phosphate in check? at least 2ppm and .03ppm respectively

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphates are an issue. i was at 0 until maybe a few weeks ago.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time and stability, I started with all dry rock and took almost a year to start seeing it. Just keep everything stable and it will be introduced on snails and frag plugs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back