Coralline algae

allaboutknowledge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m starting a new/old tank and there’s a lot of dried coralline algae still on the sides. So old coral makes for a good substrate when running a saltwater aquarium. I’m wondering if coralline algae carries the same concept being that it uses some of the same building blocks. I’m thinking about leaving it in the tank. Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m starting a new/old tank and there’s a lot of dried coralline algae still on the sides. So old coral makes for a good substrate when running a saltwater aquarium. I’m wondering if coralline algae carries the same concept being that it uses some of the same building blocks. I’m thinking about leaving it in the tank. Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.
I left some on the back wall of my old tank when I started it. It was still somewhat purple at the time. I scraped off the rest. The few little spots that were pinkish or white (which was very little) just flaked off in a day or two anyway. If it has discolored, just remove it and start over.
I just started a new tank and truly ... I do not miss the coralline at all. I'm fine with it on the rocks but I will work to keep it off of the walls now that I can see how clean the tank is without it. (We'll see who wins....)

Upvote 0

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's dead after being exposed to the air. I'd scrape it off as it holds no real benefit. If glass cleaner (or other chemical) was used inside tank to clean it up, some of that may have been absorbed into the coralline, so I'd get rid of it.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back