Coralline

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share all your tips and secrets to getting coralline algae. Ive not tried anything yet.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Astrea snail shells usually have it growing on them. Buy some of those to add to your tank.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the few times you can purchase time.
Wait a few months or spend $21 and wait a few weeks
I saw these and was curious, which led to making this post. I thought coralline just came with age of your tank, then seen these bottles and wondered how people were actually getting all their coralline. Do you use the whole bottle?

Randallh99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw these and was curious, which led to making this post. I thought coralline just came with age of your tank, then seen these bottles and wondered how people were actually getting all their coralline. Do you use the whole bottle?

Depends on the size of your tank. I have a lagoon 25 and I used one bottle. I believe 1 bottle is good enough for like 50 gallons. Any bigger and you'll need multiple bottles. I used it 6 weeks ago and nothing yet. If you read reviews on the product, a lot of users have said its taken multiple months but all of a sudden it spreads like wildfire.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As other have said, it will eventually come in on snails or rock.
Yes, the bottle contains live spores and is only viable in the bottle for a few weeks, so use the whole thing when you get it.
Coralline requires similar conditions to easy corals.
Good light, calcium, alkalinity and some nutrients.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy the bottles. There really is no need for it. You will get coraline algae whether you want it or not. I used those bottles and all I got was hard green algae which is also common for other people. It is not green coraline. Two months later and coraline is finally starting to grow. The coraline on frag plugs and snails has always been there. I feel like I wasted money and time with those bottles. Just my humble opinion.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time and stability, I’ve never purposely introduced it comes in on snails and frag plugs. Be careful what you wish for.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new 75 gallon tank the first week of August. I started it with dry rock. I put one small (baseball sized) piece of rock in the tank for 3 weeks from my established 75 gallon. After 3 weeks I saw small specks of purple on my dry rock, so I removed the small chunk back to the established tank. Today those small specks have doubled in size.

I'd guess the rock will be a nice purple color in a few months from now.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the few times you can purchase time.
Wait a few months or spend $21 and wait a few weeks
They still advertise this as months not weeks. I believe it even says 2-4 months right on the bottle/website. $45 for two bottles or $15 for some snails I guess

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They still advertise this as months not weeks. I believe it even says 2-4 months right on the bottle/website. $45 for two bottles or $15 for some snails I guess
It probably would've come along anyway, but not as fast. There's maybe a propagation speed difference between a few snails and a bottle of spores, if we care.
It grew coralline for me.

20200902_181510.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back