OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48. Cat room 5 .jpg

Ran the plumbing through the foyer wall, under the stairwell and ultimately out through the exterior wall into the garage as you will see in coming pics.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49. Filling tank 1 .jpg

I was tempted to post this pic and see how many people lit me up over using a hose. Then I realized that all of my history is on another site and no one here knows me and that I would never do anything like that so I decided against it. Here we are filling it up to pressure test it.
I didn't include a pic but it was quite hilarious then to build a PVC outflow line to run this water into my koi pond which benefited from a 500g water change.....I'm sure there's a forum out there somewhere to show that one off.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50. Filling tank 3 .jpg

Temporary lighting rig getting set up while we await the creation of the cabinetry (an estimated October delivery).
And filling with RODI is the answer. What is not the answer though is having to have your poor RO machine have to push water from the garage, through the front yard, up a staircase, and then up nearly 8 vertical feet. It's hard to believe there wasn't much head pressure....

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
51. Filling tank 6 .jpg
52. Filling tank 5 .jpg
53. Filling tank 2 .jpg
54. Filling tank 7 .jpg

Out of sympathy for my RO machine and mother nature I decided to take a couple of trips to the LFS. Oh, and for hte record, walking in and asking if they have 500g of pre-made RO on hand is almost always good for a laugh.
(Joking aside my LFS - don't know the rules here on promoting those who do well - so nod to the best store in So. Tampa) They did great in helping me out. Got about 200 g in total from them. That saved me a few days for sure.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54.b. Filling tank 9 .jpg
54.c Filling tank 17 .jpg
54.d FIlling tank 18  .jpg
54.e. Filling tank 19.jpg
54.f. Filling tank 20 .jpg

It's ALIVE!!!!
Still needed to set up the skimmer, dosing, reactors, etc... Also needed to set up dry lines, refugium, manifold, and some others but just to see water circulating and no drips was a victory for sure.
It's a story that is only useful here but plugging that pump in and hearing it roar to life and just waiting, waiting, waiting to see where a drip was going to come is a torturous experience.
But - and hold it - not a single drip. I know I have complimented my builder but this to me was the testament. How do you make that many cuts and joints and not get one. Solid work. dang solid.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55.Filling tank 8 .jpg
56. Filling tank 10 .jpg

After a couple of weeks of slowly adding live rock from the holding system to the display it began to look like a proper reef. Now please remember, this wasn't so much aquascaping as it was just getting stuff in there and trying to maximize surface area to expedite bacteria devlopment, light exposure to intensify coralline growth, and ultimately move through the inevitable mini-cycle.

When it comes time to talk coral, then we can get serious about aquascaping. In the meantime, we roll on.....

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there it is. 11 months distilled down to a select few posts. But I thought it would be more fun to start this way in looking to establish some contacts here. I do hope to hear from you all and look forward to learning more about our community.
Oh - and as you can see, I am absolutely going to be in the market for absurd quantities of coral so hopefully there are those out there who like to deal out frags. And anyone who knows when the community has trades/swaps/auctions/whatever happens here. Point me in the right direction.

Thanks everybody for having me.....

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, one last one before I get asked. Current stock list:
- (8) Yellow Tangs
- (2) Blue Hippos
- (2) Purple Tangs
- (1) Red Sea Desjardini Sailfin Tang
- (1) Achilles Tang
- (2) Blue Throat Triggers
- (1) False Percula
- (2) Black Perculas
- (3) Orange Striped Anthias
- (1) Flame Hawkfish (my son's favorite)

We will get heavy on Anthias and Wrasse moving forward but wanted to make sure everything was soundly established before getting into those levels of feeding.

And all the special little critters that make a true reef possible...

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fabulous introduction and wonderful pictures. Subscribed for sure, looking forward to following this one!

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I did get asked if I would post here or on the 'big tank' forums. The answer is both. I will certainly go to the big forum to share but like to work local whenever possible. Love the crew nationally but not gonna run into them at Publix or the LFS..... :)

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and I’m loving the tank build. I have actually been following it on Chris’s Facebook page so it was nice to see it come together from your prospective.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW this build is amazing so far! Love it!

May I ask what those "fixtures" are that hold the PVC in place?

48. Cat room 5 .jpg

Ran the plumbing through the foyer wall, under the stairwell and ultimately out through the exterior wall into the garage as you will see in coming pics.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behnken,
Thanks for the note. More pics of the cabinetry probably mid-Oct. That's when it will really look nice. I wanted to wait but I just ran out of patience :)

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see your new tank setup, almost all the corals you gave me made it and your zebra dart fish is still doing great.

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6.Tank on skids into house 2 .JPG
7. Stand by itself .JPG

The tank and stand safely in the door. The moment when you really really hope all of your measuring skills were in order...

Awesome!! I cannot believe that beer fridge! Just go easy on those til the glass is on the stand yes? Ha ! On that note I am currently building my stand for a monster tank and am wondering if you could tell me what kind of material you decided to top the stand with... is that wood? Thanks!

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see your new tank setup, almost all the corals you gave me made it and your zebra dart fish is still doing great.

Hey Barrett, long time! So glad to hear that. I miss those guys, I didn't put any in here but have to be honest I've thought about it. Thanks again for taking those pieces off my hands. It was a huge relief to not have to just 'toss' them. I'm so glad they found a good home. Hope all is well in DSM!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back