OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two new additions today. Was able to snap a quick photo of the newbies. They are still pretty shy so the camera wasn't exactly their friend.

Red Rose Fairy Wrasse. Eating well already and being as curious as you'd expect.....

IMG_9067.jpg

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also added this male square-spot anthias. Photo isn't great but it continues to add diversity to the various anthias harems in the tank. At this point we have schools of lyretail, carberryi, bimac, tri-color, square spot, bartletts, and stockys.

Still on the lookout for sunburst and deepwater blotched. All in due time.

IMG_9065.jpg

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While added a few weeks ago I hadn't yet snapped this one. Loving my juvenile Sohal. Already great color and personality.

IMG_9071.jpg

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not overly rare or overly special but I have had this guy for over 8 years and this past week he decided that he was going to host for the first time ever. Never saw that coming. I had to take a picture to prove it to the people who have watched my tank for years. No one would believe it without the photo.

IMG_9059.jpg

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is how they get you. Apex gets you hooked on controlling stuff and the next thing you know, you just keep adding modules. Those sadistic geniuses...... Looks like now I need 7 more things :)
IMG_9129.jpg

srm077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank and setup. My system is similar size wise however a bit easier on the budget. Quick question- Given your location, have you set up your power contingency plan? I am located far north and lose power frequently in winter storms so I had a 22KW Generac whole home standby generator installed. It has saved my tank on more than one occasion. I got fed up with having to run cords to and get gas for my portable generator. Now the power goes out, and 15 seconds later everything is back on. I am sitting in my office reading this and it just ran its weekly test and turned on for 15 minutes thus reminding me. I did not note anywhere in the thread where you mentioned standby power.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank and setup. My system is similar size wise however a bit easier on the budget. Quick question- Given your location, have you set up your power contingency plan? I am located far north and lose power frequently in winter storms so I had a 22KW Generac whole home standby generator installed. It has saved my tank on more than one occasion. I got fed up with having to run cords to and get gas for my portable generator. Now the power goes out, and 15 seconds later everything is back on. I am sitting in my office reading this and it just ran its weekly test and turned on for 15 minutes thus reminding me. I did not note anywhere in the thread where you mentioned standby power.

Curious how much this cost you, including installation (slab, etc.), if you don't mind sharing. It's something I've thought of but always been scared of due to $10k+ price tag.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SRM & McPuff,
Yes, I wish I had documented all of the electrical work and plumbing work like installing a water line and drain line under my property for this project. I did those things before beginning anything so I wasn't in 'build thread' mode quite yet. In any event, I too did go the route of whole house generator. I went with Kohler after looking at Generac. It was really just a price quote difference and the availability of installation that made the call. I am very happy with it and it communicates to me via a push notification any time a test has occurred or a change has taken place. Living in Florida storms are the norm and there is no way I am going to be floating frozen water jugs or trying to manually feed small generators for prolonged periods of time.

This is just one of the many redundant elements I built in.

As for price - I will certainly share as I don't think these types of things are too secret but I do encourage you to talk to you contractor before you assume my experience would be yours. I spent about 12k on it all said and done so your guess wasn't too far off.

IMG_9164.jpg
IMG_9165.jpg

srm077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
McPuff- My total setup installed was around 8500.00. I did order everything myself and have friends in the trades who installed everything. I pulled the permits and handled getting the small commercial sized gas meter installed too. Depending on your fuel source, and homes current demand if on natural gas, you may need to install a larger gas meter which can get rather expensive. Hope this helps. Coralreefer2110 also had to deal with the "hurricane tax" which probably makes a standby installation cost a bit more than average.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, much appreciated! I know there is another option as well, which would be to add a separate circuit box that allows me to plug a portable generator into my home. Have seen this done but not sure yet what is involved otherwise. Anyone utilize this method? I don't lose power very often and my only real concerns are the fridge and reef so I wouldn't really need a whole home generator.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
McPuff- My total setup installed was around 8500.00. I did order everything myself and have friends in the trades who installed everything. I pulled the permits and handled getting the small commercial sized gas meter installed too. Depending on your fuel source, and homes current demand if on natural gas, you may need to install a larger gas meter which can get rather expensive. Hope this helps. Coralreefer2110 also had to deal with the "hurricane tax" which probably makes a standby installation cost a bit more than average.

SRM is right. There are some additional costs I incur living where I do. I also have zero DIY skill whatsoever. If you have connections or DIY capability you can probably save a great deal off the price of the project. The transfer switch and generator itself was pretty reasonable IMO. The costs began to add up with permitting, installation, etc..
I had recently had a pool/fire pit installed so the gas line was already updated which saved a lot of money and hassle. Supply/demand being what it is in life, having had hurricane Irma come through here a few months before and then Michael destroy the panhandle next generators and installation waiting lines were pretty long here in FL....

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the fts! Also did the whole house gen back in 1/17; they have not gotten the permits finished so I haven’t even paid yet. Insane. Great thread.

Thanks Emvanburen,
Wow, that's crazy on your generator. Although I don't have a hard time believing it. I had a pool built on this house over a year ago and they still haven't gotten the final inspections approved. I however had to pay those knuckleheads in full. At this point it is there problem to deal with. I did my part. Hopefully you can sit on that money you owe and earn some interest. Help to offset the actual expense. In a year you could do pretty well on that probably!

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Emvanburen,
Wow, that's crazy on your generator. Although I don't have a hard time believing it. I had a pool built on this house over a year ago and they still haven't gotten the final inspections approved. I however had to pay those knuckleheads in full. At this point it is there problem to deal with. I did my part. Hopefully you can sit on that money you owe and earn some interest. Help to offset the actual expense. In a year you could do pretty well on that probably!

Not trying to hijack- but this is hilarious - the generator failed inspection due to proximity to a window. They are going to have to move it. Insane. Glad I pressed for inspection before payment.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. Hoping you get it done before hurricane season - if that's a thing for you. It'd be a huge kick in the ___ to have a generator literally there but not available to you. Good luck my friend!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back