Corals are fading or whiting out on ends.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. So you have it at the upper end, coral will be fine.

Agreed, corals don’t care much about high mag, low mag is a different story, but you can push mag.
Same as everything, the valve matters little, it’s consistency which matters.

Same argument as PO4, if it’s higher but you are not having algae issues AND it’s reasonably consistent, then whatever.

Swings kill corals far more and quicker than what the value is.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew about vinegar but thought GFO is granular ferric oxide
5F903F4A-7E6E-4B4B-85BD-A2BF7C797482.jpeg

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jim
.2 phos is too high and could cause your corals to go downhill along with hair and bubble algae. I am a big fan of lanthium chloride. It is very cheap (love that) and works well with no adverse side effects. I’ve used gfo in the past and seemed to have issues with it and it was expensive. I use to fight high phos and would actually dose lanthium every day with a dosing pump as a daily additive. 5 ml of the stuff to half gallon is what I mixed mine up at. Before I used the dosing pump I used an iv drip bag and dripped it into the bottom of my skimmer. If you want I can meet up with you half way and give you some to try. Could bring the frags and save the shipping.
Jeff

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.2 po4 is not ideal but not so high that it’ll cause tissue necrosis. I don’t care what anyone else says. Freaking out and over stripping the water to bring it down fast will cause tissue necrosis though. I do like lanthium chloride to slowly bring it down.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
.2 PO4 stress on top of new lighting change stress, on top of Phosban addition stress, on top of NO3 at 50 stress will definitely cause tissue necrosis. Just MHO and experience though.

Even if you dose LC to bring that PO4 down, you still need to get the NO3 down as well. Have you considered a sulfur denitrator? That will work on both of them. And at a slow pace, which is ideal. Just a suggestion.

OP
OP
JMM744

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my water tests tonight and everything is pretty consistent. Alk is a little low but things are growing so that’s xpected. Calcium is a bit high at 495. Pho’s. came down to .17 and nitrates are still high but I honestly have a hard time reading the color difference between 20 and 50.
Jeff I have lanthium on the shelf. I have considered dosing it in the big system but have not really explored how much to dose. I am aware of the sulfur denitrator but am not sure I would maintain it as needed as busy as I am.
I do wonder if it’s lighting. My powermodule had 2 bulbs go out and I did not catch it for a while. This started after I got them working. I have since pulled the powermodule for a 8 bulb sunpower that’s 48” instead of the powermodule
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am hoping the vinegar will get me where I feel more comfortable for now.

Back