Corals don't seems to be growing

Jonathan.T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have my reef tank running up to more than a year now. I recently added corals and anemones in June. However, it seems that my corals aren't really growing that well. They are all happy and opened up but they don't seem to be growing. I do have issues with high nitrates as I tend to overfeed my fishes at times. What should I do? I'm thinking to get Redsea reef energy A & B

Live Stock: 2 Clownfish, 1 Foxface, 1 Cleaner shrimp, 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 Sixline wrasse and a couple of snails
Corals: 2 Hammer corals, GSP, Golden Clove, Anthelia, Kenya Tree and 2 RBTA.

My parameters are as such:
Ammonia: 0
No2: 0
No3: 25
Alkalinity: 10.2
Calcium: 435
Po4: 0.03
Magnesium: 1440
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.1

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my own beginner experience- It took a while for my gsp and acans to start growing, but once they started it’s become almost noticeable on a daily basis. I’ve still got plenty of newer coral that is happy, but not yet growing.

If nothing else- if they are happy don’t overreact. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 is very low compared to NO3 and Alk. Are you using some sort of Phoshate reduction?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters are just like I like them but many will say they’re high. I keep mine at the same levels as yours. Some corals need time to encrust before the grow up and out. Yours are all soft corals and LPS so encrusting won’t happen (except the GSP and cloves). How long have you had them? Where in the tank are they placed? What lights do you have?

A picture would really help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nutrients, lighting a nd water flow is the recipe

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I just started dosing NAPOX this week and the test results were all taken today
If I were you, I would do 10% weekly water changes with high quality rodi saltwater and nothing else for at least a few more months.

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I just started dosing NAPOX this week and the test results were all taken today

Not sure if NOPOX is the best idea to be honest. What size is your tank? With your N and P out of whack, you may well find you crash PO4 to undetecable but still have plenty of NO3. With your Alk on the high side, this is not a good situation to be in.

I'd be more inclined to bring your PO4 up to around 0.05-0.08 and Alk down to the 8 level over the next few weeks and then keep Nutrients in check by using a fuge, NOPOX, water changes, adjusting feeding schedule/amount etc.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this but that's my advice.

The numbers I shoot for are:

Nitrate 10-20
Phospahte 0.08-0.12
Alk 7.5-8

Take a look at some of the masters tanks and what numbers they run.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonathan.T

Jonathan.T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if NOPOX is the best idea to be honest. What size is your tank? With your N and P out of whack, you may well find you crash PO4 to undetecable but still have plenty of NO3. With your Alk on the high side, this is not a good situation to be in.

I'd be more inclined to bring your PO4 up to around 0.05-0.08 and Alk down to the 8 level over the next few weeks and then keep Nutrients in check by using a fuge, NOPOX, water changes, adjusting feeding schedule/amount etc.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this but that's my advice.

The numbers I shoot for are:

Nitrate 10-20
Phospahte 0.08-0.12
Alk 7.5-8

Take a look at some of the masters tanks and what numbers they run.

Thanks mate. I will try my best to do that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back