Corals dying

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 25g aquarium with a 2” sand bed and live rock. The tank was cycled for six weeks before adding anything, and things had been going well until three weeks ago.

It started with two zoas and a hammer showing stress. I waited a week, and they continued to decline, which led to the decision to move them. The zoas came back, but the hammer was lost. Last week a chalice and trumpet began struggling, and within the week, both were completely white.

Parameters below:
Alkalinity: 9.6
Phosphates: 0.04
Calcium: 461
Nitrates: 7.7
Salinity: 1.25
Ph: 8.2
Magnesium:1470

All measurements were taken with Hanna.

I had a crab die last week, which caused a minor spike in ammonia, but it was gone within 24 hours.

I currently have one torch, a montipora, three zoas and a bounce.

Livestock consists of two clowns, two turbos, and six crabs.
Any thoughts on what’s causing this or is it just a new tank thing? I’m planning a 15% water change tomorrow and will be pulling dead coral out.

image.jpg

OP
OP
J

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 25g aquarium with a 2” sand bed and live rock. The tank was cycled for six weeks before adding anything, and things had been going well until three weeks ago.

It started with two zoas and a hammer showing stress. I waited a week, and they continued to decline, which led to the decision to move them. The zoas came back, but the hammer was lost. Last week a chalice and trumpet began struggling, and within the week, both were completely white.

Parameters below:
Alkalinity: 9.6
Phosphates: 0.04
Calcium: 461
Nitrates: 7.7
Salinity: 1.25
Ph: 8.2
Magnesium:1470

All measurements were taken with Hanna.

I had a crab die last week, which caused a minor spike in ammonia, but it was gone within 24 hours.

I currently have one torch, a montipora, three zoas and a bounce.

Livestock consists of two clowns, two turbos, and six crabs.
Any thoughts on what’s causing this or is it just a new tank thing? I’m planning a 15% water change tomorrow and will be pulling dead coral out.

image.jpg
Also using water box 4 stage rodi. TDS1 001ppm TDS2 000ppm.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of those corals listed I have had trouble keeping when I was new as well .

fwiw . I stay away from torches , trumpets as I have never had luck with them .

chalice is another one that has never had long term success in my systems .
But acro , montipora , hammer corals. Donuts , open brains all do well

OP
OP
J

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response; I currently have seven corals in the tank, with my main concern being the OG bounce. Should I consider moving to the LFS until things settle?

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dreaded slow decline of corals, it's awful to watch and very frustrating. Could you give us a little more information: Lights and schedule, flow, dosing, and whether you are using gfo and/or carbon.

I think I've got your timeline of issues; however, could you be a little more specific... When did you add corals, fish, and when you started to have issues with the corals. Where did you move them from and to where to you put them?

Be patient. We have all been there.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a ammonia spike with a death of a crab, your tank isn’t stable for torches and hammers also the montipora. I would return the remaining hard corals and stick with the softies for at least 2 months. Your alkalinity might be going up and down in your tank as well.

OP
OP
J

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1660614857718.png

These are my alk readings between July 19th-August 14th. Testing done every second day.

OP
OP
J

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dreaded slow decline of corals, it's awful to watch and very frustrating. Could you give us a little more information: Lights and schedule, flow, dosing, and whether you are using gfo and/or carbon.

I think I've got your timeline of issues; however, could you be a little more specific... When did you add corals, fish, and when you started to have issues with the corals. Where did you move them from and to where to you put them?

Be patient. We have all been there.
I slowly started adding corals after six weeks and then followed by two clowns as my nitrates were too low. I'm currently dosing phosphates and have carbon. My lights run for 12 hours daily, and I have attached my schedule with peak time values. Flow ranges throughout the day between 1100-1350 gph. When I began having issues, I moved the zoas under the power head to limit the flow and placed the hammer on the sand. The zoas came back, but the hammer was lost. A week later, the chalice and trumpet started declining and are now dead too.

Attachments

• 1660615350579.png
    1660615350579.png
    11 KB · Views: 22
  • E57147EC-D642-4094-891A-28E1C29D188D.png
    E57147EC-D642-4094-891A-28E1C29D188D.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 24

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'll echo what others have said that maybe you got out of the gates a little too quickly. How old is the tank now?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which lights do you have?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 15 weeks old with a prime 16hd.
Lighting is probably low for being just a prime 16. I would look up the I believe it's called AB schedule for them. Otherwise you seem to be doing things right. You just have a new tank and all of us have gone through this. At your stage the easier corals will just survive, while more difficult don't make it.

I always use the analogy, are you more comfortable In a sterile operating room or on grandma's couch?

You still have the ugly phase coming up. During which parameters get a little crazy. Keep doing as you're doing and manage them. Start dosing live phyto. Will help with maturing and combat the algae.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually here... screen shotted some recommended settings for you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-221321_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-221321_Chrome.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 18

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my Kessel lights 12 hours a day with 5 hour peak, with a ramp up and down.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Primes are surprisingly strong! I had mine at 50% roughly over my fluval evo and at the sand was almost 300 par!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back