Corals!?!?! how sooNNNNN?!??!?!

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like many i have basically zero patience! What conditions am I supposed to be looking for before we add our first Coral Frags. We are probably going to go with some zoa and lps for starters.

I added a bottle of Coraline algae spores about 2 weeks ago and have yet to see it pop yet. I had some brown algae and that is gone almost entirely. (TY lenny the Blenny & Pooty Tang)

Parameters as of last evening were 0 ammonia, 8.2 Ph, 0 Nitrite, 5ppm Nitrate, between 1300-1500 magnesium (test is hokie at best) 8.1 Alkalinity, 420ppm Calcium, And the Salinity is between 35-36.5 I dont fully trust this meter yet i get about a 1 difference from test to test in the same 5 minutes. Using a Hanna tester. I have calibrated it several times. The refractometer i cant seem to focus to my eye so i feel that is a waste of time. my ATO is a Kalkwasser solution.

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna salinity meter needs to be calibrated frequently and drifts by up to 2 ppt every week. I'm certainly more reliant on my glass Tropic Marin hydrometer and refractometers these days (and the refractometers are also checked frequently).

Coral: get someone to give you a Kenya Tree branchlet. They really do grow like weeds, and are great barometers for both water quality and lighting issues. They'll certainly let you know if something's wrong!
wow im certainly going to do some more cleaning and testing with my meter and the refractometer

As for the branch we got a purple birds nest. will see how that goes. ordered it from WWC

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back