Corals not look so good!

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up and running for the past 2.5 months and the few corals I had put in were doing great up until a few weeks ago..I have a few zoas, a torch, acan, 2 mushrooms and a toadstool and 3 fish..now the zoas don't fully open and acan has stopped growing and the toadstool looks like its having a hard time..the only thing that seems to be happy is the torch and fish..not sure what is happening in the tank but am worried I may loose my corals..the following are the latest parameters taken yesterday, will be doing a watcher change later this afternoon or tomorrow.

Temp 78.8
Ammonia 0
NO2 0
NO3 16.1
Salinity 1.025
ALK 10.1
CAL 542
MAG 1230

If anyone can help me get things heading in the right direction, is greatly appreciated..

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquarium is quite new. My guess is your struggles are related to biodiversity and stability issues that most tanks go through. Only exception would be if you used live rock and sand, but that is becoming more and more rare now-a-days.

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see his phosphate number.

Can you give a full tank shot by chance?

Also, calcium seems rather high.

Attachments

• IMG_7644.JPG
    IMG_7644.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 54

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good. What's your light situation?

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquarium is quite new. My guess is your struggles are related to biodiversity and stability issues that most tanks go through. Only exception would be if you used live rock and sand, but that is becoming more and more rare now-a-days.
Only thing I noticed was a wide swing on my ALK..the reading prior was 4.5 and the new one was 10.1..why the wide range is unknown to me,

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing with new aquariums, the water chemistry fluctuates a lot. It's when those numbers become stable we add corals. Testing weekly to make sure we get a month of stability before adding anything sensitive.
However, toadstool corals are far from sensitive. Unless they are over exposed to lighting.

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what's your light setup?

What's your feeding routine?
I have Prime 16HD for my lighting and am using Pirates of the Caribbean schedule and feed fish once a day and dose AB+ weekly.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have Prime 16HD for my lighting and am using Pirates of the Caribbean schedule and feed fish once a day and dose AB+ weekly.
With the amount of coral you have, I can't see why you would need to dose AB+ this could be why you have high calcium. A water change every 2 weeks should keep the calcium/alk balanced out.

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? Also, was it 10.1 after water a change?
I am using Hanna for Alk, Cal, NO3, Salinity..RedSea for Ammonia and NO2..Aquaforest for Mag..the 10.1 was before the water change, my lfs has been closed the last two days and going to pick up my water in a few mins.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Hanna for Alk, Cal, NO3, Salinity..RedSea for Ammonia and NO2..Aquaforest for Mag..the 10.1 was before the water change, my lfs has been closed the last two days and going to pick up my water in a few mins.
Do yourself a favor and check the alk/cal of the new water from your LFS.

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do once I get the water home..thanks for assistance!
Just getting around to posting the Alk and Cal paramaters from the new saltwater I bought for my water change..Alk was 5.6 and Cal was 475..I'll be testing water again on Monday.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back