Corals or fishes first in a new tank?

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m coming to my first 6 months mark, and I’m glad I’d started with fish first. Beyond the initial cycling, you have to maintain the big 3, ALK, CAL & MAG, as well as to NO3 and PO4. Unless you’re a season Reefer, enjoy your first 6 months experimenting with various equipments and thoughts to find your tank’s sweet spot, then move on to corals. Having fishes itself can be a challenge, especially with QT and compatibility.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cycle the tank with the lights off and then get a few hardy corals as soon as possible (and turn the lights on).

The reason is that the tank is a virgin land for bacteria and there's a lot of species that no bottle can provide, they come with the corals.

If you introduce these bacteria early on, they don't arrive in the tank only after many of other species have had the opportunity to establish themselves.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish 1st. They can (and will help complete the initial stabilization of the N. cycle. Remember you want to introduce new inhabitants slowly so as to allow for equalization of the bio load and the Filtration capability - sorry writing this at 2:30 am. 1st Fish then a month or so later corals. remember to Dip the Corals and QT the Fish and Dip them as well. I do this and still get the occasional hitchhiker. but life happens

Todd1white

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noting worse than watching that coral that you just spent serious money on fade away and die. Your tank is going to go through several stages before becoming stable. Enjoy your fish first.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not first add a live mussel or an other consumption clamp. If you can keep it alive you are ready for what will be coming. In the case it will bring in all bacteria needed to condition the tank after cycling, If it dies there will be enough to get a conditioned tank. Some macro-algae may contribute to the carrying capacity needed.
One does not need a fish to bring in what is needed to feed a coral.
Your first clean up crew?

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would follow the advice given here regarding fish first. I would humbly add that before adding any coral I would first grow coralline algae. It usually is an excellent way to show you and your tank are ready for an easy coral or two.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would follow the advice given here regarding fish first. I would humbly add that before adding any coral I would first grow coralline algae. It usually is an excellent way to show you and your tank are ready for an easy coral or two.
May I know what actually is coraline algae and how does it affect the tank?

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently new to this hobby. I am in the process of cycling my tank with MB7 right now. (started last week and just added fish food to boost ammonia last night, so hopefully would finish cycling next week.) I have a question regarding which is safer to add first, fishes or corals? which is safer for mistakes so I wouldn't lose my hard earned money if it were to die in a few days or weeks
I've added fish to mine first and just tried adding corals about a week ago still waiting for them to come around and open up

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After introduction of your first fish it must be fed. From the protein content in the food +- 85% of the nitrogen will be released as waste and produce ammonia. This means a certain carrying capacity must be available to reduce the produced ammonia. In a new tank often that capacity is not available if the tank was not conditioned properly before adding the fish. Therefore it is advisable to start with feeding the fish a low protein food by which less ammonia will be released in the aquarium water and the growth of bacteria reminerelising the waste will be promoted due to the high C:N ratio of the food. Installing the carrying capacity needed before introducing the fish will prevent produced ammonia may build up causing what sometimes is called " new tank syndrome". The first fish is sometimes more difficult to keep as would the first coral. Having enough basic growth ( algae?) before introducing the fish will provide the basic carying capacity. If the tank is prepared for what is coming by instaling the carying capacity needed introducing corals or a fish, it makes no difference. Providing the carying capacity needed can be done by using a refuge and AAM (active algae management) While doing this one may learn everything needed to keep a reef aquarium succesfully without spending a lot of money on expensive equipment and before introducing expensive animals for wich one takes up the responsebility to keep them alive.

dmward1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I started fish first. As most do. But hear me out. Get the cycle going with bacteria dosing and all the normal stuff.

Put in hardy corals. Then feed them with reef roofs or your coral food of choice.

Wouldn’t the coral food missed by the coral act in the same manner as ghost feeding during the cycle?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I started fish first. As most do. But hear me out. Get the cycle going with bacteria dosing and all the normal stuff.

Put in hardy corals. Then feed them with reef roofs or your coral food of choice.

Wouldn’t the coral food missed by the coral act in the same manner as ghost feeding during the cycle?
Yes, that can work.

sleephinx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently new to this hobby. I am in the process of cycling my tank with MB7 right now. (started last week and just added fish food to boost ammonia last night, so hopefully would finish cycling next week.) I have a question regarding which is safer to add first, fishes or corals? which is safer for mistakes so I wouldn't lose my hard earned money if it were to die in a few days or weeks
such a nice thread

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with fish first so when I add corals there is an established cycle of nutrients going in your tank. Also in this way you can spread a bit the purchases of expensive items such as lights

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back