Corals that should have a warning sign at the LFS

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been at this for a year. My 1st coral was GSP, then came the pulsing xenia, then a friend gave me some green palys. The GSP can be easily trimmed back, but the palys and xenia are the devil. I now do way more research prior to adding a coral, I almost ended up with a pocillopora, but research saved me on that one. I have a variety of LPS and some SPS, but seems I'm constantly pruning xenia, and looking at those green palys with disgust.

What are the corals you guys/gals regret the most ?

OP
OP
Qwknbad

Qwknbad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s gsp, a birdsnest, and a Kenya tree. I don’t see how Kenya trees are wanted by some people.
I forgot about the Kenya tree, I had one of those but pulled it after seeing the growth spurt and reading about them dropping limbs. I do have a couple birdsnest that do seem to be growing pretty quickly, but trimming those shouldn't be terrible.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been at this for a year. My 1st coral was GSP, then came the pulsing xenia, then a friend gave me some green palys. The GSP can be easily trimmed back, but the palys and xenia are the devil. I now do way more research prior to adding a coral, I almost ended up with a pocillopora, but research saved me on that one. I have a variety of LPS and some SPS, but seems I'm constantly pruning xenia, and looking at those green palys with disgust.

What are the corals you guys/gals regret the most ?
While I see your point and concern, it dampers their sales and wont but courteous stores will offer good advice and ask questions but at the end of the day- We all have cell phones and make it a point to research the specimen and its requirements before saying " I'll take it". Impulse gets many of us and often we grab a specimen due to price or color to find it was the last one you would have wanted

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I was in the hobby back around 2006 one of the biggest warnings was about galaxea and its massive, foot long, sweepers.

This time around I have a sonic the hedgehog galaxea that I specifically put in the back corner where nothing else would be. Either it's a different species than what used to be common or it has no need to put out sweepers because the longest I've seen from it was at most 3".

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the Kenya tree, I had one of those but pulled it after seeing the growth spurt and reading about them dropping limbs. I do have a couple birdsnest that do seem to be growing pretty quickly, but trimming those shouldn't be terrible.
No matter how much I think I’ve broken off and removed all of the pieces of birdsnest I always seem to miss some and it grows back. Definitely not as frustrating as the Kenya tree though, at least the birdsnest is contained to the area where I had originally put it.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely xenia. Glad I only have it in 1 system. I don't know why but my birds nest gets to about the size of a softball and always dies back on its own. I trim the dead off and start over. I have Duncan's that grow like weeds and that's definitely one I wish I would have not gotten because they take up alot of real estate when fully open. I have at least 60-70 heads and can't give the stuff away.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some SPS/LPS should have a warning sign and a hammer. Sign says “ “take hammer, hit your head three times, look at price again. If it doesn’t sink in, repeat.”

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms!! Any and all. Followed by yellow stars and any monti. I am still cursing my LFS. Do a fellow reefer a solid and never sell this crap lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not got a single coral I regret!
These corals are perfect and really they just need the right tank for them to look nice.
Here’s both of my tanks, I have most of the corals that have been mentioned. 3 Seriatopora species, 2 Kenya Trees, and many mushrooms. I have a 3’ custom made SPS reef and a 4’ LPS/Softie reef.
AFF4E0C0-124D-4547-80C2-6F6B2718EF87.jpeg

AB6D81B9-859E-4D07-9AD6-F668139641A6.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see how Kenya trees are wanted by some people.
They’re beauties that’s why :)
Some may see them as ugly but theyre hidden gems. Here’s my two, these corals are given a very bad reputation and if you have the tank dedicated to LPS/Softies, these are a coral that if you find the right colour of they’ll look beautiful.
909ADF0E-2968-48FE-829B-6C3D498FEF37.jpeg

F3129EDF-15A8-43C3-8B5E-4C1F31BBA25E.jpeg

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MONTIPORAS. encrusting types... except kung paos! They're so pretty that I would be willing to deal with the headache once they overtake the tank lol.
i actually have a different one tho. scatter brain monti. looks similar to a kung pao

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the @i cant think clam!

I picked up an Organpipe coral that is crumbly and has proven to be a pain to maintain. I had another years ago that didn't grow like the new one. It was tight packed and it let me know if the parameters were off. It was a popular item to trade and still I gave it away(?), regreted it and so I got the new one.

The latter also had hidden aiptasia hitchhikers that have been a pain, so corals with hitchhikers, expecially organpipe coral can really create grief.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MONTIPORAS. encrusting types... except kung paos! They're so pretty that I would be willing to deal with the headache once they overtake the tank lol.
i actually have a different one tho. scatter brain monti. looks similar to a kung pao
Dang, I really do have unpopular opinions haha.

I have to agree with you to some extent, if it’s a monti you dislike then you won’t want it taking over however this is rather easy to control once it gets to a certain point.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re beauties that’s why :)
Some may see them as ugly but theyre hidden gems. Here’s my two, these corals are given a very bad reputation and if you have the tank dedicated to LPS/Softies, these are a coral that if you find the right colour of they’ll look beautiful.
909ADF0E-2968-48FE-829B-6C3D498FEF37.jpeg

F3129EDF-15A8-43C3-8B5E-4C1F31BBA25E.jpeg
I guess it comes down to the saying of beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I will say the green tint helps a little, but not enough I would want it in my tank.

Sebastian Sronce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely xenia. Glad I only have it in 1 system. I don't know why but my birds nest gets to about the size of a softball and always dies back on its own. I trim the dead off and start over. I have Duncan's that grow like weeds and that's definitely one I wish I would have not gotten because they take up alot of real estate when fully open. I have at least 60-70 heads and can't give the stuff away.
I'd definitely be interested in the Duncans if you need to free up some real estate :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back