Corals that thrive & those that just survive or die! Plus how old is your oldest?

Do you have a certain type of coral that just survives or even dies in your tank?

• YES can't keep certain coral alive (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 100 41.5%
  • YES certain corals barely survive (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 83 34.4%
  • NO everything I touch turns to colonies (don't tell us in the thread) :p

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 20 8.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy hump day!

There are those of us (not me) who have the "blue thumb" and can grow every type of coral they touch successfully and long term into massive colonies that need multiple fraggings every year! But then there are those reefers, like me, who are very successful with certain types of corals but then are not able to have success with another. Let's talk about it today!

1. What one coral thrives the best in your reef aquarium?

2. What corals seem to struggle to survive or even die in your reef aquarium?

3. What is your oldest coral and how long have you had it?

PC Superman via @DivingTheWorld
DSC_6257.JPG

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.) I have a Duncan that Is massive. It currently has 4 large heads that are about 2 inch diameter a piece. I have had it for about a 6 months, and it just now started to grow other heads.

2.) I can't keep Chalice corals to save my life. I am currently having some success with Hollywood Stunner, but all others have failed

3.) My oldest is the good old red mushroom. First coral and test coral that just walks around in its own little corner of the tank.

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy hump day!

There are those of us (not me) who have the "blue thumb" and can grow every type of coral they touch successfully and long term into massive colonies that need multiple fraggings every year! But then there are those reefers, like me, who are very successful with certain types of corals but then are not able to have success with another. Let's talk about it today!

DSC_6257.JPG
1. Duncan, continually thriving/ growing.
2. GSP- tried several times, some would call this a blessing lol...
3. Oldest are a few various types of mushrooms, can't remember which one I got first....

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 11 year old Scoly that likes to change colors. When we got it it was huge. I can only imagine it’s actual age

Attachments

• B61C9E03-9C88-49A1-99A8-AA8C32EACED7.jpeg
    B61C9E03-9C88-49A1-99A8-AA8C32EACED7.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 127
  • B5787382-7B62-4BD5-9E7B-88A38B3F59A9.jpeg
    B5787382-7B62-4BD5-9E7B-88A38B3F59A9.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 116

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a long time most of my corals were just barely surviving. Some zoas grew new heads and other didn't while others still melted entirely. Hammers and torch were suffering. Candy canes and Duncans were taking off. Chalices were not doing well, my Miami hurricane browned out and started losing flesh right after I bought it, mummy eye chalice was surviving but didn't grow at all. Acan was looking good. It turn out my constant hair algae issue was bottoming out nutrients almost constantly. Shut that tank down and started over with a new system and everything is doing well and after 3 months I am starting to get new heads on my zoas and my chalices are growing and my hammers are coming back to life vigorously.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont remember ever buying a coral. (typing with left hand) But this gorgonian on the left I see in my old pictures and may be 15 or 20 years old. But I am guessing. That hammer is also up there but not that old. Maybe10, but guessing again. They were both fragged many times. Mst of my montipora was overtaken by encrusting sponges and those are probably about 10 or 15. My Duncan has maybe 30 heads, I don'tknow

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushroom corals have always been troublesome in my reef, and I cannot ever keep them thriving. From massive colonies I’ve bought, I only have a few left that are hanging on. It feels like mushroom corals need a lot more stability and care than people give them credit for.

A good number of my corals just survive, not really growing much but certainly not unhealthy. This includes my trumpet, lithophyllon, and blasto corals.

Some of my corals that thrive and grow at a fast and steady rate are my torch coral, my xenia, and my captain jerk palys.

My first and oldest coral is a lobophytum leather that I got way before I knew anything about coral care. I just stuck it in the sandbed, and it slowly but steadily grew. I’ve had it for exactly nine months. The funny thing about this one is that I’ve tried moving it to other areas, but it doesn’t do well in any place except the precise spot it has had since day one.
Here’s two pics, one of it when I bought it, and one of it today.

1622042861820.jpeg

8B477A37-B4CD-455F-9D6D-FCCCC115B7EE.jpeg

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked, those are not all dunkins, those are hammers. I only have about 20 or so dunkins.
Of course my corals die, I just don't know their names.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont remember ever buying a coral. (typing with left hand) But this gorgonian on the left I see in my old pictures and may be 15 or 20 years old. But I am guessing. That hammer is also up there but not that old. Maybe10, but guessing again. They were both fragged many times. Mst of my montipora was overtaken by encrusting sponges and those are probably about 10 or 15. My Duncan has maybe 30 heads, I don'tknow

That Gorg is a beaut Paul.

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my SPS and LPS corals are doing great with awesome color. Cyphastria and short tentacle gonis do terrible. Some zoas do great and multiply like.crazy and others never form new heads and just survive. Acans did okay until a file fish took out all 4 of them in one night. Rock flower nems and ricordia are doing well, but rhodactus do terrible.

I do maintain a very low nutrient system. Close to zero phosphate and nitrate by dosing NoPox, with daily high doses of AB+. All of this in a 30 gallon nano tank. Still dialing in numbers for optimal coloration. It's certainly not perfect, but the coloration of what I really want is doing very good.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my old tank birdsnest was a weed, now it just sits there not doing anything...
My red planet, star fire acro, bonsai and frozen apple zoas are all growing very quickly!

Attachments

• 8700362D-EB63-484A-9251-6E099BA1B411.jpeg
    8700362D-EB63-484A-9251-6E099BA1B411.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 148
  • DB2454E7-13D4-413E-ABA0-84694F6FC2BE.jpeg
    DB2454E7-13D4-413E-ABA0-84694F6FC2BE.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 136

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My longest coral is about 15 years old. I got it as a Wellsophyllia, and then there was this big debate and argument around 2010 or so that Wellso's don't exist, and that they are all Trachyphyllia geoffroy . This reclassification lasted a number or years, and then the powers to be announced that Wellso's do exist, and I had my Wellsophyllia back. It will always be a Wellso to me.

Now I almost lost this guy about five or six years ago when I had put it in my sump and didn't realize that Xenia was overgrowing this coral. By the time I noticed, about half was retracted, and two smaller pieces were now growing below the big one. You can see them on the left (larger of the two) and front left (smaller one). It's now the center piece of my DT.....where it belongs.:cool:

Tank Coral 052521.jpg

Now I also have the original lineage of my Trumpet coral for just as long. I say lineage because every time I'd move it (a softball size+) it would break into 30-40 frags and I'd start over. I've done that maybe four times. The mini colony I have from the original is about 30 heads or so right now.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a coral, but I have a mini-maxi carpet anemone that is thriving, and has been thriving since I added after three weeks of cycling. It does not seem to care at all about what transpires around it, regardless of anything else dying or algae growing or whatever. It's just like, yeah whatevs.

I also have clove and glove polyps that keep growing, so that's cool.

Xenia though don't do well in my tank. D:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest corals are finger leather, shroom and gsp bought in 2014.
Resized_20210512_154604.jpeg
20200522_202948.jpg
They are the only three that survived dinos in 2017. The leather and gsp have been fragged many times. The leather was cut into 3 last year.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Simple/beginner palys. :p

2. Well right now, it’s my sad excuse of a torch, but I believe it was fragged way to soon, which is why it’s doing so terrible.

3. Hehe, only been keeping corals for about 3 weeks - not sure of the age of my corals, but my cinnamon Palythoa as got to be at least a month or two old, because of its size. ;Bucktooth

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy hump day!

DSC_6257.JPG
Most corals do well but depends on which of the 6 tanks in my 500g system they are in. I run the same water parameters with different lighting and flow in each. The nutrient levels may also be slightly different pending if it has a sand bed or not.

I used to never be able to keep any Micromussa Lords but now it's Goniopora due to the high Manganese and Iron uptake.

My oldest coral is just a Toadstool leather for over 25 years which shouldn't be surprising.
My oldest SPS is my ORA Red Planet for maybe 16 years.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back