Corals that thrive & those that just survive or die! Plus how old is your oldest?

Do you have a certain type of coral that just survives or even dies in your tank?

• YES can't keep certain coral alive (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 100 41.5%
  • YES certain corals barely survive (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 83 34.4%
  • NO everything I touch turns to colonies (don't tell us in the thread) :p

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 20 8.3%

• Total voters

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my parameters are pretty much the exactly the same except my phosphate is around .08 and nitrate around 10. I also use Red Sea blue bucket. I’ve tried them in par from 75 to 250. In flow from moderate to high. Always the same story.
Do they maybe need higher alkalinity? When my results were golden my alk ran closer to 12. I was over dosing soda ash based on a faulty test kit. I gradually brought it down to less than 9 and then my troubles started.

I didn't mention my pH is about 8.15.

Sandy MH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a long time most of my corals were just barely surviving. Some zoas grew new heads and other didn't while others still melted entirely. Hammers and torch were suffering. Candy canes and Duncans were taking off. Chalices were not doing well, my Miami hurricane browned out and started losing flesh right after I bought it, mummy eye chalice was surviving but didn't grow at all. Acan was looking good. It turn out my constant hair algae issue was bottoming out nutrients almost constantly. Shut that tank down and started over with a new system and everything is doing well and after 3 months I am starting to get new heads on my zoas and my chalices are growing and my hammers are coming back to life vigorously.
Did you literally throw everything out when you shut that tank down? Can you eleaborate on "shut down" to this newbie? Thank you!!

Sandy MH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a long time most of my corals were just barely surviving. Some zoas grew new heads and other didn't while others still melted entirely. Hammers and torch were suffering. Candy canes and Duncans were taking off. Chalices were not doing well, my Miami hurricane browned out and started losing flesh right after I bought it, mummy eye chalice was surviving but didn't grow at all. Acan was looking good. It turn out my constant hair algae issue was bottoming out nutrients almost constantly. Shut that tank down and started over with a new system and everything is doing well and after 3 months I am starting to get new heads on my zoas and my chalices are growing and my hammers are coming back to life vigorously.
Can you elaborate on how you "shut the tank down" for this newbie? We have hair algae and our best corals (green fire star, zoanthids) are failing miserably -- after having done well for nearly a year. Thank you!!

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't keep frogspawn! Torches, hammers, everything else is no problem (usually). It's a shame because I love the look of them but they all suffer the same fate.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on how you "shut the tank down" for this newbie? We have hair algae and our best corals (green fire star, zoanthids) are failing miserably -- after having done well for nearly a year. Thank you!!
Well prepare for a book. I shut the tank down by moving everything out of the aquarium into a new system where I began to grow macroalgae first before anything else. I have no fish also which is important to note because they generate the phosphate which is helping to fuel algae growth. I didn't have to shut down the tank for the reasons of algae I had to move the tank out of my brother's house and needed to go smaller to have it in my house. I had been beating the hair algae and could have kept the tank up. First, it's a balancing act, if the hair algae has excess phosphate it will hold strongly to surfaces if it has a deficit of phosphate it will come off with relative ease and you need to do this first and remove as much as possible. To do this you will need to cut back on feeding enough to be able to pull the hair algae easier. If the hair algae is a large enough presence it will bottom out your phosphate which is what is killing your zoas, I went through the same thing with mine. Second it's a competition between every organism in your aquarium that uses phosphate, you have only a certain total amount of phosphate available. If you continue doing everything the same you will have freed up phosphate and the hair algae will only come back into the space you have left unless you introduce something to compete, I have used caulerpa prolifera to great success battling hair algae because it seems to compete directly and grow quickly. The sad part is that starving the tank will starve your animals as well as the hair algae which is why competition is better than starvation for the long term. I have so much more to say but it is hard to organize quickly. I have been studying algae growth and the effects of phosphate on algae for over a year now ever since my tank troubles. Feel free to ask any more specific questions, or let me know if I wasn't very clear, I try not to ramble but it's hard.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you literally throw everything out when you shut that tank down? Can you eleaborate on "shut down" to this newbie? Thank you!!
I just saw this. You don't need to throw it out hair algae is not a disease it can pop up in any tank, it is a balancing agent that keeps your water clean when phosphate is too high. Hair algae probably cleans more people's tanks than anyone could guess.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything inexpensive will multiply over night.
Anything with a fancy name and high price tag grows slowly for me
my oldest coral is an 18 year old Trachyphyllia
C07100F6-7099-49CF-AE34-BF639E102540.jpeg

Massic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What one coral thrives the best in your reef aquarium?

Based on current size and/or proliferation; elegance coral (honorable mention would be duncans)

2. What corals seem to struggle to survive or even die in your reef aquarium?

Chalices - I've only ever had one frag, but it did poorly and died off quickly

GSP/Sympodium - I have a softball sized rock covered in pulsing xenia from one 4 stalked frag, in the same amount of time my GSP has MAYBE doubled in size from a 1.5" frag. Same with my blue sympodium, although it's relatively new(er). So they do grow, just not at the prolific rate I was expecting from people warning about their ability to overrun a tank.

3. What is your oldest coral and how long have you had it?

My first frags into the system a year ago were my GSP, xenia, and elegance coral. Considering the size of the elegance at the time I bought it I'd say while it's not the oldest within its time in the system, it is the oldest coral I have.

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy hump day!

There are those of us (not me) who have the "blue thumb" and can grow every type of coral they touch successfully and long term into massive colonies that need multiple fraggings every year! But then there are those reefers, like me, who are very successful with certain types of corals but then are not able to have success with another. Let's talk about it today!

1. What one coral thrives the best in your reef aquarium?

2. What corals seem to struggle to survive or even die in your reef aquarium?

3. What is your oldest coral and how long have you had it?

PC Superman via @DivingTheWorld
DSC_6257.JPG

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Coral that thrives: in my SPS tank it has to be a mystery encrusting coral that I finally figured out was a psammacora. It has been slowly a peacefully growing for years with full on neglect and even survived a total tank wipe out from dinoflagellates

2. coral I can’t grow: any birds nest species except for “gutattus or reindeer” birds nest” The latter do great. All other types always die after about a month

3. oldest coral: toss up between Xenia, GSP and red mushrooms

Attachments

• 37CF764D-9925-4A44-90B5-B64765091338.jpeg
    37CF764D-9925-4A44-90B5-B64765091338.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 41
  • B524C4F9-56B2-48FE-9B0B-7B6D90F2972D.jpeg
    B524C4F9-56B2-48FE-9B0B-7B6D90F2972D.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 45

coriii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Basically everything. Yes, I’m still surprised myself.

2. It seems I can’t keep Goniopora. Mine didn’t fully open after a couple of weeks I had it and part of it died. What’s left still struggles and won’t fully open.

3. My Duncan. It’s my very first coral and I had it for almost 3 years now. Since when I started my first reef tank.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im able to grow pretty much every coral except one, and thats the tck sour polyp tenuis, have any of you guys succeeded in growing it? Theres a couple people that i know off that had the same experience of it just slowly dying over the course of a month. Beautiful coral though this is my 4th time trying it i dont quit easily. My fastest coral is definitely between my vivid confetti or incredible huk stag. This is a 3 month growth and at the bottom is the tck sour polyp.

Screenshot_20210601-134117_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210601-133918_Gallery.jpg MEM-T3-414.jpg

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue octocoral and hairy mushrooms that are over twenty years old. They have survived long term power blackouts and heaters going crazy.

Surf985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a LOT in my tank. Once I got the phosphate issue fixed, plating montis seem to be doing really well in my tank. Other than those, the typical mushroom explosion and the duncan that can still put off heads even when the urchin knocks it face first into the sand are probably the biggest thrivers. At one point I could keep favia/favites really well, but now they seem to hate my tank...

Can't keep acropora. They'll last a month and then suddenly bleach out overnight. Maybe green slimer will hold up, but the CUC keeps ripping it out of even super glue (my urchin is apparently a beast because it WILL wear my frags regardless of what I do.) Struggled with cyphastrea and leptastrea, but probably because my lighting is too high. I'm trying for SPS and have the anemones, but I may eventually bump it down. The biggest bummer was pipe organs and maze brains. I LOVE both. I think the algae issues early on messed with the pipe organs so I'll try one again eventually, but still waiting on the right brain...

Oldest is probably a blasto. It exploded like 5+ heads early on but hasn't grown much in the new and bigger tank. It's stayed about quarter size and semi retracted. It's getting better and is pretty much bullet proof, but...whatever.

The weirdos are definitely GSP and Xenia. I WANTED them to take over the back glass or a rock. The GSP only grows on the underside of its plug, not the rock, and the xenia exploded off the frag, onto the rock, and then decided conquesting was boring and stopped. Glad I'm not the only weird tank owner!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back