Corals vs Corals...Fight!!! (w/ Pictures)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad i stumbled onto this thread

no pics, but interesting no mentions of goniopora I noticed..

I put a purpleish goni on a frag rack too close to a frogspawn: goni victory. incidentally, that frogspawn about a week later ditched the skeleton and died. unsure if related

tried to use a galaxea frag to get rid of some hitchhiker zoas: galaxea did nothing, now resides at the lfs

red war coral vs hollywood stunner chalice: didn't know chalice had some galaxea level sweepers, chalice victory

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I put a purpleish goni on a frag rack too close to a frogspawn: goni victory. incidentally, that frogspawn about a week later ditched the skeleton and died. unsure if related

tried to use a galaxea frag to get rid of some hitchhiker zoas: galaxea did nothing, now resides at the lfs

red war coral vs hollywood stunner chalice: didn't know chalice had some galaxea level sweepers, chalice victory
Yeah the stunner is a beast.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That is weird usually galaxea is considered aggressive.

I took a marine biology class geared towards the hobbyist. One of our labs is we had to put two corals together and document the aggression.. I was like really what if I loose one of my corals.
I think the person was gathering info for his book.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a different type of war going on

4becedf04f2c4e61536687531f2f8a82.jpg

During the day with full lighting the Xenia will almost smother the big mushrooms, in the evening with just the blues the mushrooms open up and cover up the Xenia. So far the big mushrooms have stood their ground, the smaller mushrooms, zoa’s and paly’s in the sump can’t outpace the Xenia

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is weird usually galaxea is considered aggressive.

I took a marine biology class geared towards the hobbyist. One of our labs is we had to put two corals together and document the aggression.. I was like really what if I loose one of my corals.
I think the person was gathering info for his book.

yeah, i knew of its aggression level, so i never put it near anything else. but it seemed to have no interest in the zoas. that thing would throw out sweeper tentacles that were at least 8"+, which was an issue to say the least in my 50 gallon cube :eek:

oh yeah another one i forgot about, i put a long tentacle torch too close to a blue green sympodium. sympodium clear loser there, although in a funny twist, i moved it and it has never looked better.

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a different type of war going on

4becedf04f2c4e61536687531f2f8a82.jpg

During the day with full lighting the Xenia will almost smother the big mushrooms, in the evening with just the blues the mushrooms open up and cover up the Xenia. So far the big mushrooms have stood their ground, the smaller mushrooms, zoa’s and paly’s in the sump can’t outpace the Xenia
Woah. Crazy and cool at the same time.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah. Crazy and cool at the same time.

Yeah it’s pretty sweet I find new things all the time in there that I either forgot about or didn’t even know I had. I have a pair of clowns that have claimed the Xenia as their own and just love it down in the sump

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Zoas agressive? What's up with my stylo? I bought a rock with 20 red dragon eyes and now my stylo is dead above the zoa.
FWIW, my goby does hang out there all the time as well.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i put some duncans in a higher light higher flow area of my tank and, upon review, probably a little too close to a leptasrea i have that is encrusting nicely. no issues yet, but i'm torn between leaving them for research or moving the duncan. moving doesn't seem appealing since it didn't come on a frag plug and might prove difficult to move, so i think i shall leave it for science.

wondering if anyone has run into duncan vs leptastrea issues?

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the baddest coral out there? From what I've read, acans, torches, meteor shower? It also seems like zoas are indestructible.

I think it depends on tank conditions. I will say that Purple Star polyps give it hell. It started to hurt my horn from underneath, it eats Palys, it is winning the battle with my Pavona.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Help SPS crew! How aggressive are digi’s? My frog skin Acro’s reaching out and I’m worried about their coexistence?
B7EF3481-51B1-4653-B83A-A51613A22FE9.jpeg
18B52F54-4B61-418F-8629-89B1D153B3D7.jpeg

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i put some duncans in a higher light higher flow area of my tank and, upon review, probably a little too close to a leptasrea i have that is encrusting nicely. no issues yet, but i'm torn between leaving them for research or moving the duncan. moving doesn't seem appealing since it didn't come on a frag plug and might prove difficult to move, so i think i shall leave it for science.

wondering if anyone has run into duncan vs leptastrea issues?

I try to keep my Duncan away from things. Zoa's hated being near it. So not sure about this. You should post some photos

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back