Corals, WC & Lighting

qstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious to know why most of my frags open up completely when I am doing a water change.
I have Hamilton T5/Halide combo lights and 2 reef brite led strips sitting about 9" off the water

My tank is 30" high, I do about 20% water change and as soon as I drain the water the lighting seems super bright and the corals just open. I can't keep sps corals for nothing, they brown out...I normally place them in a frag rack and move them up and down, but can't seem to have any luck. I just never moved them to the top of the tank cause I think the lighting is too hot.

My water parameters are within suitable range. I use hanna checkers and I even let my LFS test and its spot on compare to theirs, so buying from them I only temp acclimate

Is my lighting too high or Low? The only way for me to adjust them since they are hanging from the ceiling is to use different length cables. I have no canopy yet cause I haven't found the sweet spot for my sps corals..

Thanks
Q

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting isn't the only thing that corals react to. Maybe it's the flow as the new water is introduced to the tank? Or some water parameter you aren't testing for that changes? Or additional trace elements? Yes, I'm getting into the weeds here. But anything is possible.

The only way to be absolutely sure about your light's intensity is with a good PAR meter.

OP
OP
Q

qstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting isn't the only thing that corals react to. Maybe it's the flow as the new water is introduced to the tank? Or some water parameter you aren't testing for that changes? Or additional trace elements? Yes, I'm getting into the weeds here. But anything is possible.

The only way to be absolutely sure about your light's intensity is with a good PAR meter.
I will have to get a par meter. The water is at a stand still, all pumps are off when this occurs .

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to get a par meter. The water is at a stand still, all pumps are off when this occurs .

Any chance that's the issue then... that maybe the corals are happier with less flow than you 'normally' run in the tank? BTW, this is pure conjecture and guesswork on my part. Please don't take any offense. I'm just trying to offer possibilities.

Any chance you know somebody with a PAR meter? I loan mine out to local club members. Or maybe an LFS has one they rent out? I think even BRS has rentals, but the security deposit is pretty steep. But most PAR meters are pretty bullet proof in terms of breaking one.

OP
OP
Q

qstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance that's the issue then... that maybe the corals are happier with less flow than you 'normally' run in the tank? BTW, this is pure conjecture and guesswork on my part. Please don't take any offense. I'm just trying to offer possibilities.

Any chance you know somebody with a PAR meter? I loan mine out to local club members. Or maybe an LFS has one they rent out? I think even BRS has rentals, but the security deposit is pretty steep. But most PAR meters are pretty bullet proof in terms of breaking one.
None taken. I have no idea if its flow or lighting ..I'm guessing the lighting.

OP
OP
Q

qstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey bud you were right, it was the flow going too much in one direction...I set both gyre pumps to 50% and the same direction and raised them and holy crap, they all opened up

15539844642061713409356973798191.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud you were right, it was the flow going too much in one direction...I set both gyre pumps to 50% and the same direction and raised them and holy crap, they all opened up

15539844642061713409356973798191.jpg

Well that's great! I'm glad you got it figured out and I really appreciate your letting me know that what I offered up, helped. Very cool! Feel free to #RonReefman any time you want!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back