Coralvue Hydros vs. Apex

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't offer any in depth comparisons between the two but I have both currently. The Apex BRS edition has been running my 120 for over a year. I have a DOS and PM1 added to the system. I use an older EB8 for my outlets.

I just barely setup a Hydros 4 on my 50g test tank. I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.

So far though, you couldn't give me an Apex. The Hydros is so ridiculously simple to setup and Neptune should be ashamed how poor their setup is.

I've loved the Hydros experience so much that it will be going on my brand new 250g peninsula I'm building.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glh makes good hardware but their software is butt cancer. My doser 2.1 connects to my phone about 1/2 the time and is slow as molasses

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say the big difference is the Hydros is just much easier to use but still offers flexibility and advanced control.

Right now there is more available for the Apex but that will change in the future as more stuff is released. Apex has been around for a while too.
I do own both. I am not going to bash the Apex though, allot of people have had no issues with them and love them.

I think Coralvue seems more open to working with other companies making stuff for the Hydros and for the DYI'er. It has cloud support which is much newer way to do things. It is a little more technically advanced because it is a newer platform. Basically the Hydros is a newer system and there are advantage and disadvantages to that.

I am a tester for the Hydros so I want to say that. I do like the Hydros and purchased more with my own money for other systems I have.

You have to decide and look at your needs.

Get GHL and forget about the rest..
Yep. GHL...I am in the middle of a 300 build and there have been a few long time reefers out here and they turned me onto GHL, thats what I am going to do for the 300. They told me GHL allows you to choice how many time a day and which day to test , unlike Apex from what I heard from someone who has one is you have to test 4 times a day minimum and everyday, so your force to keep buying reagent. But again I don't know for sure if this is true.... I was never a fan of Apex nor will I ever but that doesn't mean its a bad product. It kinda like which beer, bourbon or car maker etc someone likes in my option.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old post but I have been looking in to the hydros and everything you said is right on the money . I think this is why I might have to go with a apex I know there stuff to add on is more but in the end I think it’s worth it I hope lol
If you’re like headaches, frustration and wasting time setting up otherwise simple tastes as well enjoy old outdated technology then, then yes you’ll love Apex.

DJ Mike Fury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to add my two cents - I've been reefing for alittle bit now (alittle over 10 years) and we just set up a our second tank, a new Waterbox Reef 220.6 using Hydros Control 4 and Hydros XS. I've never owned a controller before this and can't speak about Neptune's Apex except for the fact our local fish store steered us away from Neptune a few months ago due to customer service issues/lack of support. However, from my personal experience, the Hydros user interface was so simple to start up and is very capable of advanced controls and has full integration directly with Focustronic's Mastertronic which can test alot more parameters than Apex's Trident. More importantly, they seem to be taking a fresh new look for automating an aquarium by making it more accessible to the larger community with different price entry points depending on user needs. Anytime there's a new product that comes out, there will be alot of questions/concerns which is understandable and us early adopters will have some challenges along the way. For example, Hydros will be coming out with a different salinity solution that is more accurate than the salinity probes currently out there. In the meantime, I'll use a refractometer - not a big deal in grand scheme of things. By in large, it's doing everything I'd ever want it to do so no complaints from me so far.

On a separate note, I think with Bulk Reef Supply buying Neptune will be a bad thing for our local fish stores though. Bulk Reef is trying to be Amazon in the aquarium world. If a LFS buys Neptune products for their customers, more money will be in BRS’s pocket to squeeze them on other product lines. I think this will hurt BRS's goodwill as they're primarily known for their videos online. You will seem more shameless plugging of their products are the best etc. Only time will tell, but monopolizing will only mean less innovation and higher prices over time. We need to support our local fish stores wherever possible and competition is good for our industry.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just want to add my two cents - I've been reefing for alittle bit now (alittle over 10 years) and we just set up a our second tank, a new Waterbox Reef 220.6 using Hydros Control 4 and Hydros XS. I've never owned a controller before this and can't speak about Neptune's Apex except for the fact our local fish store steered us away from Neptune a few months ago due to customer service issues/lack of support. However, from my personal experience, the Hydros user interface was so simple to start up and is very capable of advanced controls and has full integration directly with Focustronic's Mastertronic which can test alot more parameters than Apex's Trident. More importantly, they seem to be taking a fresh new look for automating an aquarium by making it more accessible to the larger community with different price entry points depending on user needs. Anytime there's a new product that comes out, there will be alot of questions/concerns which is understandable and us early adopters will have some challenges along the way. For example, Hydros will be coming out with a different salinity solution that is more accurate than the salinity probes currently out there. In the meantime, I'll use a refractometer - not a big deal in grand scheme of things. By in large, it's doing everything I'd ever want it to do so no complaints from me so far.

On a separate note, I think with Bulk Reef Supply buying Neptune will be a bad thing for our local fish stores though. Bulk Reef is trying to be Amazon in the aquarium world. If a LFS buys Neptune products for their customers, more money will be in BRS’s pocket to squeeze them on other product lines. I think this will hurt BRS's goodwill as they're primarily known for their videos online. You will seem more shameless plugging of their products are the best etc. Only time will tell, but monopolizing will only mean less innovation and higher prices over time. We need to support our local fish stores wherever possible and competition is good for our industry.

I think this is actually a very good well thought out post and you very well could be right.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your facts straight poser... I assume I am the Sean that you're referring to here and it was messaged to me by people that know what time it is. Time for you to **** and hear this... I have never had one single issue with a Neptune DōS unit! In fact this is the ONLY component of this newly owned point of sale company's products that hasn't broken before 2 yrs of age. Head, EB, Pumps and ato... salinity NEVER worked. I have never had a doser clog. I've never had a doser kill much of anything. I did experience a massive dump of alk and cal due to the first design of the Ecotech Versa doser. I love ecotech pumps and the g4 radion is my favorite light but the doser is still shaky and being redesigned or at least was but since B(IAS)ReefSupply is buying EcoTech next I doubt I'll be buying their stuff much longer. SO that sets you straight on your first sentence.

NEXT! You live about 45 mins from CV and me about 30 so yes we are close but not 5 mins this next one is the most funny thing you've ever said so you continue to top yourself... I do NOT get a great deal from CV and actually I get Ecotech and several other things from other vendors sometimes at better prices. I am friends with the owner of Cv. Irony here is that I was given a deal on one Control 4 Hydros unit as a thank you for trying out the whole line and buying a bunch of them for my store and to run the store.

Thats what I have to say but my advice is to speak of me with vague insight. Honestly I have no idea how a troll of a person like you is an admin on Bayou Reefkeeping with all of the locals and novices you've tried to punk on Roast My Reef and I'm sure many other places like that.

The real sad thing that you truly lack understanding for is that you don't believe that I'm a brutally honest person and when I say Neptune is GARBAGE it's fact and when I say Hydros is promising its also FACT. Next time you want a no bs opinion or reference to a FACT feel free to ask me about my experiences before speculating and paraphrasing like we are close friends.

Best wishes with your Neptune and Apex (same thing knucklehead) controlled nano tank.
Sorry to interrupt, have you tried Profilux, and have any thoughts on that vs the Hydros?
I'm hesitant to go Hydros due to how new it is, and the lack of standard accessible support there is (from what I've read).

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to interrupt, have you tried Profilux, and have any thoughts on that vs the Hydros?
I'm hesitant to go Hydros due to how new it is, and the lack of standard accessible support there is (from what I've read).

Hydro's is really not new anymore.
Support is great and Carlos does a great job. They have a support portal, a forum just for support.
They also have a FB page that that you can get support from.

Last edited:

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydro's is really not new anymore.
Support is great and Carlos does a great job. They have a support portal a forum and just for support.
They also have a FB page that that you can get support from.
It's <5 years old, I would consider it pretty new compared to GHL and Neptune :eek:

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t be nervous. It’s been great. I am happy with my choice and I’m confident others would be as well.
47B890F3-6CB5-4BDA-835E-AD0CBA333835.jpeg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Hydros support forum here https://forum.coralvuehydros.com/. There are a lot of people there willing to help. I moved from the Archon to the Hydros. So far I have not found anything that the Archon was doing that I cannot do with the Hydros system. I have it controlling the usual things at the tank along with my RODi and storage tanks. If my DI storage goes low it refills it. If my fresh salt water goes low and the water in the mix tank is ready to use it will transfer the water to the fresh salt water storage tank and then refill the mix tank with DI water from the RODI unit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back