CoralVue Reveals Revolutionary Klir Filter with ‘Drop-in’ Design

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Klir Filter by CoralVue was introduced just over six months ago and before it has even been released the automatic filter roll has been completely redesigned. The new form factor is completely different from the previous model with a size and shape that is especially suited to ‘drop in’ to many existing sump models. […]

Continue reading...

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple questions, if anyone can definitively answer. I briefly studied the images today, so correct me if I’m mistaken on any of the following, but for those of us with no socks or sock chambers, if we chose the option with (I believe they’re calling it the “adapter,”) how will it perform with higher flow sumps? From the images, the bottoms of the plumbed fittings empty into a very narrow chamber, which in my experience can cause the rebounding water off the floor(with high flow) to raise the water in such a narrow chamber (sort of like aiming a powerhead at the waters surface) which can cause issues in systems such as mine; a Bean.

Do these have to be plumbed to the drains and/ or require 100% pass-through of the drain water to be effective? Ideally I’d like to have it away from the drains in the skimmer chamber in a more passive removal application than to plumb it to my standpipes. Not unlike how a skimmer or an ATS operates where a smaller % of the total volume is being processed.

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple questions, if anyone can definitively answer. I briefly studied the images today, so correct me if I’m mistaken on any of the following, but for those of us with no socks or sock chambers, if we chose the option with (I believe they’re calling it the “adapter,”) how will it perform with higher flow sumps? From the images, the bottoms of the plumbed fittings empty into a very narrow chamber, which in my experience can cause the rebounding water off the floor(with high flow) to raise the water in such a narrow chamber (sort of like aiming a powerhead at the waters surface) which can cause issues in systems such as mine; a Bean.

Do these have to be plumbed to the drains and/ or require 100% pass-through of the drain water to be effective? Ideally I’d like to have it away from the drains in the skimmer chamber in a more passive removal application than to plumb it to my standpipes. Not unlike how a skimmer or an ATS operates where a smaller % of the total volume is being processed.

Hi, you would use the bracket if you do not have any sock tray. The pipes on the bracket go all the way down the vertical compartment as they would in a sump, not just into the narrow opening. You can place the unit wherever you like and even feed it with a separate pump instead of your standpipes if you wish!

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, you would use the bracket if you do not have any sock tray. The pipes on the bracket go all the way down the vertical compartment as they would in a sump, not just into the narrow opening. You can place the unit wherever you like and even feed it with a separate pump instead of your standpipes if you wish!
When plumbed to the drains, does all of the water returning to the sump filter through the unit( as do socks?) If so, then one can expect a decrease in efficiency running it remotely away from the drains on a separate pump?

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very excited about this. I currently have three 7" socks on my 300, am I correct in saying that one 7" klir will be enough for my system with the other 2 sock holders capped off?

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When plumbed to the drains, does all of the water returning to the sump filter through the unit( as do socks?) If so, then one can expect a decrease in efficiency running it remotely away from the drains on a separate pump?

As long as you’re running less than 1,800 gph after head loss you’d only need one! It will run you $299

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you’re running less than 1,800 gph after head loss you’d only need one! It will run you $299
Thanks, I will likely buy one to see how it operates but that didn’t answer my question. I’m not familiar with the unit,(or really roller mat filters in general) so again: if the bracket is plumbed to your drains, does all of the return volume to the sump pass through the filter( as happens when using a sock?) If so, logic would dictate that a remote/ more passive application away from the drains wouldn’t remove as many particulates.(which wouldn’t be a total dealbreaker but worth pondering) The current orientation of the pipes extending to the bottom of that bracket chamber are not compatible with systems such as Beans where your drains need to terminate no less than an inch below the waterline to operate appropriately. Could the pipes be cut to accommodate that and still operate effectively?

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will likely buy one to see how it operates but that didn’t answer my question. I’m not familiar with the unit,(or really roller mat filters in general) so again: if the bracket is plumbed to your drains, does all of the return volume to the sump pass through the filter( as happens when using a sock?) If so, logic would dictate that a remote/ more passive application away from the drains wouldn’t remove as many particulates.(which wouldn’t be a total dealbreaker but worth pondering) The current orientation of the pipes extending to the bottom of that bracket chamber are not compatible with systems such as Beans where your drains need to terminate no less than an inch below the waterline to operate appropriately. Could the pipes be cut to accommodate that and still operate effectively?

When your overflow is piped into the bracket all water will pass through the filter. The bracket also has an adjustable bypass feature if you do not want to filter it all.

The bracket is fully compatible with full syphon overflows such as Bernie and Beananimal configurations. The pipes extend way down into the vertical chamber And you are free to cut them as you see fit.

Thanks!

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very excited about this. I currently have three 7" socks on my 300, am I correct in saying that one 7" klir will be enough for my system with the other 2 sock holders capped off?

As long as you’re running less than 1,800 gph after head loss you’d only need one Di-7! It will run you $299

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your overflow is piped into the bracket all water will pass through the filter. The bracket also has an adjustable bypass feature if you do not want to filter it all.

The bracket is fully compatible with full syphon overflows such as Bernie and Beananimal configurations. The pipes extend way down into the vertical chamber And you are free to cut them as you see fit.

Thanks!
If one were to cut the pipes to make it compatible with a Bean, would the water level at the drains fluctuate or remain constant? Just checked out the website and it mentioned that the roller is activated by a rising water level.
And what sort of issues are experienced if running above 1800gph?
Thanks.

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one were to cut the pipes to make it compatible with a Bean, would the water level at the drains fluctuate or remain constant? Just checked out the website and it mentioned that the roller is activated by a rising water level.
And what sort of issues are experienced if running above 1800gph?
Thanks.
it should be compatible with bean as is without the need to cut. The water fluctuates above the tray area by .25” at most without any affect. If you were to run over 1800 the water level will remain high constantly running the motor and wasting fleece.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should be compatible with bean as is without the need to cut. The water fluctuates above the tray area by .25” at most without any affect. If you were to run over 1800 the water level will remain high constantly running the motor and wasting fleece.
It may be compatible, but its simply not feasible to say that it will or that it “should.” Perhaps you’re not familiar with the specifics of a Bean and how the standpipe depth can affect these systems. Inch into the waterline max is recommended. It’s not a major issue as long as the pipes can be accessed to cut. Like I said, I’ll be buying one and will just cut the pipes if they extend to the bottom of the device.
Just another question: would using a manual unit eliminate the 1800gph restriction/ limit?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back