Coris Wrasse skimming surface?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going on with my coris Wrasse? It spends all day up at the surface swing frantically and poking its head above water. No flashing, but there are some slight discolorations on some of it scales. Difficult to see though.
I have not added any new fish or inverts in several months, so I don't see how it could be a disease/infection.
Could it be some sort of aggression related issue? I don't see anyone nipping at him unless he gets too close to the clown den.
KIMG0658_06_BURST1000658.JPG

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going on with my coris Wrasse? It spends all day up at the surface swing frantically and poking its head above water. No flashing, but there are some slight discolorations on some of it scales. Difficult to see though.
I have not added any new fish or inverts in several months, so I don't see how it could be a disease/infection.
Could it be some sort of aggression related issue? I don't see anyone nipping at him unless he gets too close to the clown den.
I really have no idea what this is but, I recent got a Plendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse from Live Aquaria. FedEx was later than normal and after acclimation he did the same thing your describing and also letting the current take him as if he was weak. Not sure if I did the right think but I simply netted him and lowered him towards the sand bed and he found a spot that was comfortable to him. This morning (the next day) I saw him swimming around just fine. He has been hiding for most of the day so I’ll keep you posted but I was thinking that shipping had something to do with it or stress of some sort. Maybe shipping disoriented him? Not sure. Good luck! Keep us updated!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing his reflection up there? Put some more surface agitation and see what happens. Are you running a grounding probe?

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps are off in the pic. The surface is anything but smooth in my tank with them on. He definitely seems to do it more when they're off though.
The thing is; this isn't a new fish. Been in my tank for a year or so now, and just started doing it in the last month or so.
Definitely looks stressed. Could it be a food thing? I reduced my feeding slightly awhile back to keep nutrients stable.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Might be related to reduction in feeding. My Watanabe would skim the surface and pop his head out in QT when I was near the tank to throw some pellets in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you post a short video?

Jay

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried, but it keeps failing. Ive successfully posted Gifs on here before, but it's not working. Is there a size limit?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried, but it keeps failing. Ive successfully posted Gifs on here before, but it's not working. Is there a size limit?
Try posting to YouTube if you can. The video may or may not help me figure it out….
Does the wrasse do this most of the time?
I presume it isn’t eating?
Jay

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It eats just fine. Doesn't do the bobbing all of the time. Mostly when the pumps are off. Although, it does spend most of the day in the upper end of the water column. Rarely ever down in the rockwork anymore. I was feeding pellets for awhile on an autofeeder when I was gone. Don't really remember if that behavior started after I pulled the autofeeder off. Was a few months ago.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back, I was trying to buy one off a local fish store like this. They wouldn't sell him the store owner was too attached to him. I think he is looking for food.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you removed the feeder, did he decimate the pod population on the rocks and it up looking for food? Can you feed him till he is full then see what happens? Add a bottle of tiger pods?

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sixline and red-lined wrasses are still eating away at pods/worms just fine. Matter of fact, the redlined wrasses is trained to follow my hand around when I'm moving stuff. He loves bristle worms.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back