Coris Wrasse with unknown issue

jtermini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping you can help me properly identify an issue I am having with my yellow coris wrasse. I am fairly new to reefing. Researching and learning for just under a year but tank has been established for around 5 months now. However, I am very familiar with parasites and disease as I have a master's in parasitology and a PhD in microbiology and Immunology. So quarantine is a must for me. I do 21 days cupramine and then 12 days in general cure (two doses separated by 6 days) and feeding medicated food (general cure+focus+garalic guard) for the time they are in GC. I even do 75 day QT for all my inverts/coral. Everything was going flawlessly until tonight.

I went to my tank tonight to feed and I instantly notice discoloration on my yellow coris wrasse. Please see the images. The fish is healthy. Eating fine and active. I did see it flash once against the sand bottom. The white color almost looks dusty. Not defined spots. More just general discoloration. All other fish seem healthy and none are showing discoloration. But I am extremely concerned it may be something like Brook or velvet as this could wipe out my entire tank. We have all heard the horror stories. I have all require medications on hand to treat just about anything and a full QT system I have now transferred the wrasse to...but I am not sure how to proceed since I can't ID the culprit. Is it bacterial? Brook? I did see a post where someone had a similar issue on his coris wrasse with similar spots...but they believed it to be flukes (although they say it was resistant to prazi, so I am not sure I would jump to flukes from this post).

@Humblefish Would you have any suggestions? I have found your site and posts extremely helpful while developing my QT procedure and really respect your opinion in these matters. Although I might need to revisit my QT process after my clear failure to eliminate this pathogen, haha.

Thank you!

All the Best,
James

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 5.jpg
photo 6.jpg
photo 7.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back