Corkscrew filter?

taimarain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I used to have freshwater aquariums several years ago and recently decided to get back into fish keeping and wanted to try saltwater this time. I don't know much about saltwater but did well with freshwater. Now I moved abroad and live in China, and not many people around me are familiar with saltwater or sump set ups and there is only freshwater lfs so I don't have many places to go for information around here. Now here's my situation... I bought a tank 66 gallon with a 14 gallon sump. In my mind, I wanted a coral sand bottom however as I'm assembling the aquarium tonight, I'm realizing that there is a tube inside that has a corkscrew thing inside that moves water up... so it sucks water in the bottom brings it to the sump, and then corkscrews water to the top to return clean water to the tank... Anyways.. how do I put sand in the bottom without it going into my bottom sump...there has to be a way...Is there something I can block those holes with but still allow water to flow through? If so, what's it called? I tried looking everywhere but I don't know what it is, or called... I seen some tanks with a shield looking thing covering something in the corner of their tank (assuming they have that tube thing like I have) but I don't know what it's called and the only information I am getting is "how to filter your sand" help on this would be greatly appreciated...

OP
OP
taimarain

taimarain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry, Ive been meaning too.. So in the meantime, I've spoken to the company I bought the tank from and they recommended a "sand shield" so I had them send me a photo cause I couldn't find it anywhere and they sent this... (Here's some pics of my tank... the advertising of the "corkscrew" and the acrylic shield they recommended)

1320235012.jpg 318835241.jpg 617954596.jpg sand shield.jpg corkscrew.jpg

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen anything like this before! Kinda want to see it running, it’s interesting. Screw pumps aren’t anything new but I’ve never seen one used in a fish tank like this. That sand shield should do the job to keep most of the sand out of the filter I think.

Bulletsponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would definitely be cautious with fish stocking in the tank. Anything that is going to mess with the sand could potentially throw it over that trap and either clog it or mess up the pump. pretty interesting design though. i would think that sucking in from the bottom would be good for bare bottom because you have a poop vacuum built in

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id second going bare bottom with a tank like that.

OP
OP
taimarain

taimarain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, most tanks I've seen here are all bare bottom, they're also all freshwater and it's great for easy clean up, but I don't like the look :( I don't need a thick substrate so maybe a thin layer of sand? The bottom is blue with lines running through it. they could of made it look nice at the bottom rather then that (I'm sure the lines serve a purpose but I don't know what) I don't have it running as the filter media wasn't sent with the tank (it was supposed too) so I'm waiting for that to arrive along with the sand shield thing, when I have water in it I'll let you know if it works and post updated pics

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back