Correct Flow in and out in my sump?

MySaltwaterisHotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 20 gallon DIY sump, I am struggling with how to keep the incoming water the same as the outgoing....without overflowing the sump tank, or running the water pump dry. How do you get the water flow the same rate? I am sorry if this is an easy answer I overlooked somewhere, but I can't figure it out! Thank you in advance!

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is usually done by having a gate valve installed somewhere after your drain pipe/line. You can then adjust precisely how much water is going into the sump to match your return pumps output. Hope this helps and sorry if you already have one. If so might be a pump issue

Upvote 0

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump flow 101: when the return pump is off, there’s no flow into the sump or display. When the return comes on, it moves water from the sump, into the display, raising the level of the display. This increased water level then flows over the edge of the weir in the overflow box and begins draining, via gravity, to the sump. If set up properly, the system stabilizes once the flow from the return pump is matched by the draining via gravity. If this isn’t happening, there’s a problem.

All the talk of valves and DC pumps has to do with noise. It doesn’t change the physics.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the talk of valves and DC pumps has to do with noise. It doesn’t change the physics.
While I do agree with this statement, if using a herbie style drain the adjustments that could have already been made to account for that noise could cause a fluctuation in how much flow the drain is capable of passing through it...well at least until reaching the emergency drain.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP a description of your plumbing would be a big help in getting a better answer, or if you're not sure what type of drain you have a picture could help too.

Upvote 0

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP a description of your plumbing would be a big help in getting a better answer, or if you're not sure what type of drain you have a picture could help too.
This^
Maybe a return pump too large for system or drain line too small.
But a gate valve is a huge help with this problem

Upvote 0

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? Make sure your sump is big enough. When return pump is off, your sump should be able to handle the small amount of water flowing back into the sump.

Upvote 0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you take a shower how do you match how much water comes out of the shower head with how much can go down the drain?
Wait - you don't have to.
You just make it so the drain is faster than what's coming in. The trick is the water level is maintained in the tank by the weir. It all cant drain out.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you take a shower how do you match how much water comes out of the shower head with how much can go down the drain?
Wait - you don't have to.
You just make it so the drain is faster than what's coming in. The trick is the water level is maintained in the tank by the weir. It all cant drain out.
That is an amazing analogy of how it should work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MySaltwaterisHotter

MySaltwaterisHotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyones answers!

So, to start, it is a DIY sump...I made it out of a 20 gallon long tank with acrylic baffles and a filter area, its pretty basic. (second attempt at a sump...I just purchased a laser cutter so this should interesting hehe)

For plumbing I basically...have no clue what I am doing and I have looked online and gone to the hardware store about a dozen times....I didnt know what sizes to get of what pvc pipes, so I got the 1/2" in 3/8" od (i think those are the abbrev.) vinyl hosing and I just have the sump on the shelf below the tank. I can post pictures a bit later, its in my aquarium room, so nothing fancy. just basically going in from gravity through the tube, and the first pump I bought was 800gph and i just bought another one for 480 gph which I think is okay, might need to go down just a tad more.

Basically I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to plumbing...sorry I am sure this is making some of you cringe! Any advice is GREATLY appreciated :) :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MySaltwaterisHotter

MySaltwaterisHotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyones answers!

So, to start, it is a DIY sump...I made it out of a 20 gallon long tank with acrylic baffles and a filter area, its pretty basic. (second attempt at a sump...I just purchased a laser cutter so this should interesting hehe)

For plumbing I basically...have no clue what I am doing and I have looked online and gone to the hardware store about a dozen times....I didnt know what sizes to get of what pvc pipes, so I got the 1/2" in 3/8" od (i think those are the abbrev.) vinyl hosing and I just have the sump on the shelf below the tank. I can post pictures a bit later, its in my aquarium room, so nothing fancy. just basically going in from gravity through the tube, and the first pump I bought was 800gph and i just bought another one for 480 gph which I think is okay, might need to go down just a tad more.

Basically I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to plumbing...sorry I am sure this is making some of you cringe! Any advice is GREATLY appreciated :) :)
Just wanted to add, its not running at the moment because of the flow issue, too much going out vs coming in. I got a valve but the one I got for the water coming into the sump doesn't let enough water through...so I need to get another one.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back