CORRECT SALT IN MY NANO TANK?

Uscanga2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi R2R familiy:

im starting with a new nano tank (40G), and I can't decide which salt to use...
I was thinking about using Coral PRO, but I saw that its alkalinity levels are 12. 2, it's a bit high, is not it? I know alkalinity should be around 7.8-8.3. Which option could I use to start my tank?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi R2R familiy:

im starting with a new nano tank (40G), and I can't decide which salt to use...
I was thinking about using Coral PRO, but I saw that its alkalinity levels are 12. 2, it's a bit high, is not it? I know alkalinity should be around 7.8-8.3. Which option could I use to start my tank?
I have a 40 gallon as well. I've used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals from the start, and it's never given me an issue :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not planning on dosing , or plan to do so later , and expect few to some stony corals Esp early on , a salt with slightly higer alk is a good thing IMO as you’ll be relying solely on the salt to to replace cal/alk.

A salt with an alk of 8 will deplete faster and with water changes alone my not keep up cal alk.
A salt with an alk in the 11-12 range with a tank target of 8(ish) will be easier to keep up the cal/alk without dosing.

Personally I’d go with what’s affordable and easy to get, and not buy too much as you may want to change later as the tank needs and reefer wants evolve.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back