Correlation between frozen foods and disease?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang, going well I hope.

I am kinda cheesed off (sorry I got so out of control) and wanted to get some outside opinion on something.

Long story short. I have fed my tank the same for years. Mix of Nori, frozen cubes, freshly frozen clams, etc. never an issue

A few years back I decided to try and add a new food into the mix. I will not name the brand, but it is well recommended. I purchased one frozen flat. I feed my tank 3 times with it and brook hit my tank hard. There was no changes for a long time other than the food. That was 5-6 years ago and swore I would never use it, regardless of if it was the issue or not.

Fast forward to last week. My LFS was out of black worms, so for some reason I grabbed a small flat of it again. Even though I had the previous experience in the back of my mind saying don’t. I have fed about 1/2 the small pack and now my long nose has Brook and I have no access to meds tonight. Everyone else is clean and fine, they are hardier than the butterfly.

So my question, am I crazy and it was a weird coincidence years apart or is this food a potential carrier?

Thanks (please no Qt replies, just a ? about food)

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I exclusively feed LRS Reef Frenzy and I have never had any issues over almost 2 years with any diseases. Without mentioning what food it is will make it difficult to draw any correlations

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems highly suspect in your instance, and food borne illness is well documented in other pathways.

I've suspected something similar with powdered coral food, but I can't prove my casual observations.

edit:
Frozen microbes can be a problem, in theory. I've seen frozen fish that were crawling with worms when thawed months later. Some literature suggests that it is also possible to freeze and reculture Brook in the lab.

Journal of Microbiological Methods
Volume 79, Issue 1, October 2009, Pages 62-66

In vitro culture and cryopreservation of Uronema marinum isolated from farmed New Zealand groper (Polyprion oxygeneios)

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think parasites can survive the freezing temps. Sorry about your troubles:( exclusively feed frozen and have not experienced anything like this.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I’m superstitious so even though logically I know chances are low, the timing gets my irrational side thinking

vibrio can survive freezing, do you have pics of the fish? Any red sores?

Never thought of that until you mentioned it. Good thing for me to check, but doesn’t present like it.

I feed a million different types of frozen foods and it’s never been an issue. I don’t see how any parasites could survive the freezer!

A million? I’m sorry but kinda hard to believe. That’s one big freezer. ;Wooto_O:eek:;Happy

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a lot of frozen, but combine it with live blackworms, and haven’t had similar issues. Is it even remotely possible that you have low levels of brook in your system, and your fish are so healthy that they mostly fight it off so you don’t see symptoms, but when you switch foods the most vulnerable are stressed enough that they struggle to fight it off?ow

I know I have ich in my system, but I have been able to manage it with good nutrition, a UV, and fish selection. If I stopped any of those, I am sure it would start showing up on my fish. Maybe that’s what you are seeing?

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang, going well I hope.

I am kinda cheesed off (sorry I got so out of control) and wanted to get some outside opinion on something.

Long story short. I have fed my tank the same for years. Mix of Nori, frozen cubes, freshly frozen clams, etc. never an issue

A few years back I decided to try and add a new food into the mix. I will not name the brand, but it is well recommended. I purchased one frozen flat. I feed my tank 3 times with it and brook hit my tank hard. There was no changes for a long time other than the food. That was 5-6 years ago and swore I would never use it, regardless of if it was the issue or not.

Fast forward to last week. My LFS was out of black worms, so for some reason I grabbed a small flat of it again. Even though I had the previous experience in the back of my mind saying don’t. I have fed about 1/2 the small pack and now my long nose has Brook and I have no access to meds tonight. Everyone else is clean and fine, they are hardier than the butterfly.

So my question, am I crazy and it was a weird coincidence years apart or is this food a potential carrier?

Thanks (please no Qt replies, just a ? about food)
If it’s LRS the only thin I’ve heard is that you have to feed that in smaller amounts. It’s a super dense food and high quality can really raise nitrates if over fed

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s LRS the only thin I’ve heard is that you have to feed that in smaller amounts. It’s a super dense food and high quality can really raise nitrates if over fed

It wasn’t.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back