Cost of a large aquarium?

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Marc levinson (melevsreef) came up with a rough estimate of starting up a new tank costs on average roughly $40 per gallon. That’s tank, stand, tests, equipment etc - everything you would need. Seems pretty close to me and a figure I’ve used myself when budgeting

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what light you choose ,
But a good practice is to research the lights and their output .
If it’s leds you’re buying , start them off on a low setting .
Always start any corals at the bottom furthest away from the lights and gradually move them up a few inches per day .
Ok thanks

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your dad wants a bigger tank. For Christmas I was given the opportunity too, but I decided not too because we recently bought a place in Tampa, so I would spend much of the summers there, so I wouldnt have time for a big tank.

What are you planning on stocking the tank with? I would definitely add some tangs for algae control.

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another “cost” to consider with a large tank is time. It a takes me a solid 6 hours to do a good maintenance session on my 180. That doesn’t include the 2 days before of making water. It requires a commitment.
if you look on Facebook, Craigslist, these forums, you will see $5000-10000 system for sale at a fraction of the costs. It likely wasn’t the monetary cost that made those folks sell it all. It is likely they discovered they didn’t have the time or energy to keep up a healthy tank.
From reading your post it sounds like this is someone else’s dream not necessarily yours. If you are the one who is going to be taking care of the tank it really needs to be your dream.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your dad wants a bigger tank. For Christmas I was given the opportunity too, but I decided not too because we recently bought a place in Tampa, so I would spend much of the summers there, so I wouldnt have time for a big tank.
What are you planning on stocking the tank with? I would definitely add some tangs for algae control.
Well I will be keeping the percula clowns and blood shrimp I have now ( and a few hermits and snails) and I would love a blue tang and if possible a dwarf fuzzy lip fish I’m obsessed with cowfish but I know they aren’t really great beginner fish

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 gallon cost under 1000 with a new tank when I started it.
I was looking to get a 65g (may still, most likely not though) and I did a total calculation, tank + stand, blue coral lighting, sump, sand, it was going to cost be abotu $1700CAD.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to get a 65g (may still, most likely not though) and I did a total calculation, tank + stand, blue coral lighting, sump, sand, it was going to cost be abotu $1700CAD.
Keep researching. I've since put more into it but had to start on a budget.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for a full blown stick tank with a few lps.
I developed a plan for the purchace of my 120. It took a year to get everything as I wanted everything before I started. Many do not have the patience for that.
I will list it out for a better idea of cost.
All this I had before startup.
Tank. $800
Stand. $800
40B sump. $50
R pump x2$300
Mh light. $650
Hangers. $120
Used 8 T5 $350
Skimmer. $400
Carx. $1000
Carx cab $150
Ato. $300
4 P-Heads $600
Heater-x2 $100
7" F- socks $50
Carbon reac$75
Ro/di- $100
275g tote. $100
Plumbing. $100
Test kits. $ 500
Salt $150
Trace. $150
C-dosing. $100
Other. $400
Roughly $7000
I did get exactly what I planned and ran for 1 year before firing up the MH system.
Dosed 2 part for 1 year before bringing carx online.
This does not include 35lbs live rock from my nano and 35lbs caribsea.

Before I had a # of around $4500.
I was off by quite a bit, lol.

No matter what size system you get its good to have a plan.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are all listing crazy prices for a top of the line reef tank. A simple fish only tank can be had with just a used tank, canister filter, heater, and a couple of power heads. $300-400 easy
You are 100% right!
First he needs to decide what type of a tank he wants. Then do research so he understands what it takes to run his specific tank.

This was the first time I priced out my 120, lol.
Way more than I thought!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now, on my 225 gal custom upgrade with all the bell and whistles, I am around $15,000. It really just depends on what route you go, whether its new or used, standard or custom, then the extras. I have seen many reefers build tanks for cheap, while others, myself included, just go crazy. I would go the cheaper route initially until you know you will stay in this hobby. ;)

My first tank was $1200 for a 120 gal tank, stand, and canopy.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be VERY careful buying a used tank that size. Do your research on what to look for regarding wear and tear and the silicone seams.

A used tank could cost you far more than a top of the line new tank if it leaks or the seams burst.

Glass tanks have a lifespan....

You can get a brand new tank in that size range for around $500-600 USD. You'd still want to examine all the silicone seams for bubbles etc.

Either way, I agree with @xxkenny90xx that you can definitely do it on a budget and for far less than thousands of pounds.

You can easily get all the pumps etc used. I bet If you searched the classifieds you could buy a new tank and used equipment and spend around $1000 USD. If it's fish only, or just soft corals, you don't need fancy lights at all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not crazy prices nor would I call one crazy.
Cost depends on many factors and budget. Equipment is bound to fail and used equipment will eventually fail sooner, if it fails. Many of us dont plan our tanks with concept of getting by and many of us simply buy the best we can or Can't afford. The essentials such as tank and stand, some lights and filters- Yes- there is a cost savings going used.
One has to factor items that will drive cost such as lighting, Ca reactor, skimmer, controller systems, dosers and other components. Its all dependent on what livestock/coral you are supporting.
A simple tank will support certain coral . My Orpheks alone are $5000 but again, it is the lighting I choose and find necessary for a very large system with over 140 corals. My Fish-only tank has $130 in lights as it is all I need and desire for fish only.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price also comes into play with availability. Over in the UK, you may not have the same availability to get items as we do in the US. Getting live animals to you guys is more time and cost. Just a factor of location. (My hubby is from UK - tell dad, it is more than he wants to spend.)

Also items are on time limits as everything else. You need all the equipment and it will eventually need to be replaced. I tend to buy high end pumps and they live longer than any of the lower end models I have ever owned. Not cheap though.

Used comes with risk. I was lucky to get a used system with tons of equipment tthat the big ticket items are made so well, they will never die (my protein skimmer and calcium reactor). However, the pumps and tank have all been replaced.

It is not cheap, and I think sometimes trying to get the best deals or cheapest things will not turn out cheaper in the end.

Good luck with your da though.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so 3-4 months in to my 22gal marine tank and my dad wants a tank like 150gal
He said he thought I would like kill all the fish and not be able to keep up a saltwater tank well he was wrong.
Does anyone have an idea about how much it would cost like for everything? I don’t think he realises how expensive marine tanks are lol cause when I go to my lfs and come back with like a £100 bill he’s like you only got some rock why is it so expensive !
Any help is appreciated
I think the average is somewhere around 48 dollars a gallon to start up.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dad wants a tank like 150gal

Does anyone have an idea about how much it would cost like for everything?

It's like buying a car--pick new, used, or Ferrari and you can spend that much. Oh, and it always breaks down even if you purchase everything new. Last, you can never run out of aftermarket additions...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back