Cost of a large aquarium?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf lions can go in reef tanks. Lol
If you can afford a small car or tuck. Heck. If you can afford the payments....you can afford a reef tank 100+gal.
D

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like buying a car--pick new, used, or Ferrari and you can spend that much. Oh, and it always breaks down even if you purchase everything new. Last, you can never run out of aftermarket additions...
Despite all this he now wants like 6ft long by 2ft high by as thin as he can get it where it would fit everything well I mean I’m not hating the idea of a huge tank:)

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your location, I have a sump tank sat in my front garden doing nothing and freely available. I'm in Gloucestershire
How big is it like what are the dimensions please ?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite all this he now wants like 6ft long by 2ft high by as thin as he can get it where it would fit everything well I mean I’m not hating the idea of a huge tank:)

Best bang for buck IMO (great glass, quality, great aluminum stand, euro bracing for strength and prevent splashing, and you can buy whatever sump you want):

They also have a peninsula model

Don't go "thin" if you're going 6 feet long. If anything go wider... wider is what lets you "fit everything"

The innovative marine 30 inch wide is as "thin" as i would go with a 6 foot tank. 24 inches is common, but the extra 6 inches allows lots of flow. Even 36 inches wide would be better.

Ideally, IMO a "perfect" large tank would be 8 feet by 4 feet.... same as sheet of plywood... very standard size, plenty of room... but you'll need to go custom for that for mega $$$$

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bang for buck IMO (great glass, quality, great aluminum stand, euro bracing for strength and prevent splashing, and you can buy whatever sump you want):

They also have a peninsula model

Don't go "thin" if you're going 6 feet long. If anything go wider... wider is what lets you "fit everything"

The innovative marine 30 inch wide is as "thin" as i would go with a 6 foot tank. 24 inches is common, but the extra 6 inches allows lots of flow. Even 36 inches wide would be better.

Ideally, IMO a "perfect" large tank would be 8 feet by 4 feet.... same as sheet of plywood... very standard size, plenty of room... but you'll need to go custom for that for mega $$$$
Ok so like 6ft by 2 1/2 ft then ?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ED1DCC4A-1075-4A21-B444-0825FDFA7616.jpeg

I got my 210 used for 800 with stand and canopy and all equipment. Added 2 used mp40s for 150 added 6 noopsyche for around 800 fish another couple hundred and corals another hundred. So far under 2500. Depends on budget and how long you can wait out a steal on Craigslist.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to look at tanks I would highly suggest Innovative Marine (tank/stand) or even Planet Aquariums (tank/stand and sump).
Yeah I will have a look I would prefer to buy the tank stand and sump all together I’m looking at getting a custom made tank if I can’t find a used one as my measurements are hard to find for like under £1,000

Last edited:

MPrz59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so 3-4 months in to my 22gal marine tank and my dad wants a tank like 150gal
He said he thought I would like kill all the fish and not be able to keep up a saltwater tank well he was wrong.
Does anyone have an idea about how much it would cost like for everything? I don’t think he realises how expensive marine tanks are lol cause when I go to my lfs and come back with like a £100 bill he’s like you only got some rock why is it so expensive !
Any help is appreciated
The bigger the tank the more expensive but a lot of things can be DIY and cheaper I highly advise checking out Joey Mullen the king of DIY on YouTube, he also has a book. Also it doesn't hurt to look around at used tanks on Facebook. hope this helps

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go second hand as much as possible. I think the only stuff brand new that went into our 180G tank was sand and rock (didn't want to transfer over any issues I had in the old 75G tank to the big tank).
I was lucky enough to have a close friend that runs a tank maintenance company and I was laid off for a few months so I was able to trade him labor in return for equipment, but still go used as much as you can.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the tank the more expensive but a lot of things can be DIY and cheaper I highly advise checking out Joey Mullen the king of DIY on YouTube, he also has a book. Also it doesn't hurt to look around at used tanks on Facebook. hope this helps
Thank you I’m actually already subscribed lol

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a nice 72 by 24 by 24 aquarium on its own no stand or anything I will probably build my own stand anyways and I need a sump overall I think it would be 179.5 US gallons (679.6 litres) so would a 60 gallon sump work ? Could anyone leave me sump and heater recommendations I have done a little research on sumps so I know what they are and how they work but I don’t know how to find a decent one as the biggest tank I’ve ever had is only 48 gallons (200 litres) so I know nothing about huge tanks or what they need lol

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So
If you like diy I’d say go with a petco tank 40 breeder would be a good start and either buy a baffle kit or you can get a glass company to do one for you
So just buy like a normal aquarium then add in the sections and plumbing ?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not big on used equipment or going cheaper, big believer in you get what you pay for (on most things).

Haha I am a big believer in getting what some other sucker already paid for. Thats why I buy almost everything in this hobby used. That year old $700 skimmer I get used for $200 is just as good as a brand new $700 skimmer of the same model.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup pretty normal thing for most people to do
Actually I’ve just thought I already have a 200L ( around 48 gallon ) freshwater aquarium would that work as a sump if I drained it and took everything out and put in like aquarium dividers and plumbing and a heater and everything else that you put in a sump?

Back