Cost of a large aquarium?

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have always used $100/ gallon on a new build. As has been mentioned a lot depends on size, new or used components, what you plan on keeping ect but I have learned that quality bought first time relates to fewer issues down the road. I try to factor in rock, sand and some coral in this which of course can sway this number. Whatever your number I’d factor in another 25% for the unexpected.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a better way to do it is set a budget and get a tank to fit that, rather than the other way around.

The costs are always a lot more than you think they are going to be, keep going back to Dad asking for more money will soon turn him off the tank.

Put a few costs to him so he knows to set a reasonable budget, I think aiming for a 150g maybe a little too big, going a little smaller will make your money go a lot further.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go custom. Custon acylic tank built to size and on CL get a fabricator to make you the steel stand out of 1/4" steel square tube or round stock.
Throw a plywood board on top.
Custom is the best imo.
D

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are going to scare her (or her dad) way off from this hobby!

I will just say some people spend fortunes on their tanks, but it should be made clear that you can have a very nice healthy tank(with quality equipment) for a fraction of the costs people are talking about. It may take some time (and extra work), but good quality perfectly functioning used equipment can be had for pennies on the dollar if you are not impatient. I would add though that forums like this are not the best place to find the fantastic deals on equipment. Resell sites (craigslist, FB marketplace, etc) I find is best because you often have people that throw thousands of dollars at the tank and either give up when it crashes or get bored with it and just want it out of the house. People active in the hobby (like most on a reef forum for example) realize the value of their used equipment and price accordingly.

Also things I think many are factoring in are things like controllers, dosers, etc. They make maintaining exponentially easier, but especially early on it is far from a requirement.

For me the stocking of the tank is by far the most expensive part, but even then if you have patience it is not nearly so bad. If you want to immediately have a beautiful tank full of full size colonies or "designer" coral then yes you are talking several thousand dollars. If willing to buy frags and let them grow out it can be somewhat affordable.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a better way to do it is set a budget and get a tank to fit that, rather than the other way around.

The costs are always a lot more than you think they are going to be, keep going back to Dad asking for more money will soon turn him off the tank.

Put a few costs to him so he knows to set a reasonable budget, I think aiming for a 150g maybe a little too big, going a little smaller will make your money go a lot further.
The thing is there is a space that

I will just say some people spend fortunes on their tanks, but it should be made clear that you can have a very nice healthy tank(with quality equipment) for a fraction of the costs people are talking about. It may take some time (and extra work), but good quality perfectly functioning used equipment can be had for pennies on the dollar if you are not impatient. I would add though that forums like this are not the best place to find the fantastic deals on equipment. Resell sites (craigslist, FB marketplace, etc) I find is best because you often have people that throw thousands of dollars at the tank and either give up when it crashes or get bored with it and just want it out of the house. People active in the hobby (like most on a reef forum for example) realize the value of their used equipment and price accordingly.

Also things I think many are factoring in are things like controllers, dosers, etc. They make maintaining exponentially easier, but especially early on it is far from a requirement.

For me the stocking of the tank is by far the most expensive part, but even then if you have patience it is not nearly so bad. If you want to immediately have a beautiful tank full of full size colonies or "designer" coral then yes you are talking several thousand dollars. If willing to buy frags and let them grow out it can be somewhat affordable.
Thank you for explaining I am not that bothered about super rare livestock or anything like that I just want a pretty healthy functioning reef aquarium

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go custom. Custon acylic tank built to size and on CL get a fabricator to make you the steel stand out of 1/4" steel square tube or round stock.
Throw a plywood board on top.
Custom is the best imo.
D
Will acrillic scratch a lot ? And I was going to build the stand myself

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 million doll hairs..... really, i dont know local prices around your parts but here... you could pull it all off with like $1000 or less? a budget build for sure - used or free equipment, build your own stand, diy your own sump, pick up some china box lights like noop

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 million doll hairs..... really, i dont know local prices around your parts but here... you could pull it all off with like $1000 or less? a budget build for sure - used or free equipment, build your own stand, diy your own sump, pick up some china box lights like noop
I have decided on a budget of £1,000 I have found a full marine system Tonga branch rock , sand and everything really apart from fish and coral on eBay for £799 but it’s only 4ft but I mean it’s a great deal I’m considering it I

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High quality acylic will even scratch yes but much lighter and sealed more. Larger tanks are usually acrylic. No seams. They are welded. Bonded.

Just have to be a little more careful when cleaning and get the acrylic brushes. Acrylic mag float.
D

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so 3-4 months in to my 22gal marine tank and my dad wants a tank like 150gal
He said he thought I would like kill all the fish and not be able to keep up a saltwater tank well he was wrong.
Does anyone have an idea about how much it would cost like for everything? I don’t think he realises how expensive marine tanks are lol cause when I go to my lfs and come back with like a £100 bill he’s like you only got some rock why is it so expensive !
Any help is appreciated
You better save up $10k.... I don't even have a controller yet..... Lol

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Marc levinson (melevsreef) came up with a rough estimate of starting up a new tank costs on average roughly $40 per gallon. That’s tank, stand, tests, equipment etc - everything you would need. Seems pretty close to me and a figure I’ve used myself when budgeting
Seems about right actually, before corals...

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also I love to buy small frags and watch them grow for example when I went to get coral for my 22 gallons specifically asked for the smaller ones so that I could see them grow in my tank

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone d has any experience with this sump ? What is it like ?

Attachments

• 262C4E35-F8E2-4A00-B69E-3245B24EA55F.jpeg
    262C4E35-F8E2-4A00-B69E-3245B24EA55F.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 33

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do it slow over time and it will still come out great first this you should buy is a note book Write everything you want down in the tank start with the tank filter System rock and sand or just rock and what you want to put in it redsea and waterbox make plug and play tank just go slow and have fun

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do it slow over time and it will still come out great first this you should buy is a note book Write everything you want down in the tank start with the tank filter System rock and sand or just rock and what you want to put in it redsea and waterbox make plug and play tank just go slow and have fun
That’s what I’m trying to do but the thing is I can’t decide what sump to get lol because honestly making my own seems complicated but if it is significantly cheaper then I will

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m trying to do but the thing is I can’t decide what sump to get lol because honestly making my own seems complicated but if it is significantly cheaper then I will
ebay has sump kits I looked at one myself
Screenshot_20200307-071122_Chrome.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back