COST OF SALT RISING

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of bigger salt manufacturers (instant ocean Marineland) have made releases stating that the cost of salt will be going up by almost 1/3 of current price.

Apparently Many LFS are fighting back. And the rumour is this is all thanks to “covid inflation”. Example, bucket of instant ocean 5gal pale size (160 gallon of salt mix) is going up by approximately $30.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen much news of this on Reef2reef.... although a lot of local reefers or now spreading the word. This could be bad for the hobby.

Any others hear such rumours?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the inflation going on it's not surprising. I don't know about salt but much of the inflation like the price of wood is due to hedging by big corporations and the effect should start to drop next year and possibly be back to pre-covid levels by 2023, but who can tell the future for sure.
The other factor is elasticity and with all the other inflation going on many feel they can join the band wagon and finally drive their prices up but while that may mean some bit of price increase will be premenant there will have to be a rebound once things are truly back to normal.
For now all I can say is hold onto your shorts and when NPR was saying inflation isn't real a year ago I can still feel my head shaking a bit.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the inflation going on it's not surprising. I don't know about salt but much of the inflation like the price of wood is due to hedging by big corporations and the effect should start to drop next year and possibly be back to pre-covid levels by 2023, but who can tell the future for sure.
The other factor is elasticity and with all the other inflation going on many feel they can join the band wagon and finally drive their prices up but while that may mean some bit of price increase will be premenant there will have to be a rebound once things are truly back to normal.
For now all I can say is hold onto your shorts and when NPR was saying inflation isn't real a year ago I can still feel my head shaking a bit.
This is it right here.

Elastic inflation is what scares me. Running a reef tank is already expensive. And the idea that greedy CEO’s might jack up the price, outside of rising freight costs, is bothersome in general.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much salt do you use in a year?

I need to jump on the no water change regime. What are your methods?
The Triton method is a good example of how to run without needing water changes. I by chance do almost everything they suggest but I still do occasional, maybe once a month 10%, waterchanges because they are so ingrained into my being. I also have to do water changes when I am running my qt which is often.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all of the input. Conversations about the rising costs in the hobby whether it is related to supply chain issue, inflation, or some other reason can be helpful and provide positive insights. We welcome the discussion and even healthy disagreements, but remember that the R2R terms of service states that: "political discussions, statements, or rants are strictly prohibited" so let's leave our comments about political parties for somewhere other than here. Thanks!

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a refugium. Chemi pure blue in a reactor, GFO that I have in a reactor, and a slimmer that I run periodically but I’ll go months sometimes without running it. Lots of snails, hermits, a cleaner shrimp, 4 conchs for the sand bed. I use Red Sea alk, cal, mag, and 4 part trace elements. Pods in the fuge. That’s it. It’s been working great. Pro water change people don’t like hearing it tho.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is it right here.

Elastic inflation is what scares me. Running a reef tank is already expensive. And the idea that greedy CEO’s might jack up the price, outside of rising freight costs, is bothersome in general.
Time for all of us to raise prices in our own businesses

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a refugium. Chemi pure blue in a reactor, GFO that I have in a reactor, and a slimmer that I run periodically but I’ll go months sometimes without running it. Lots of snails, hermits, a cleaner shrimp, 4 conchs for the sand bed. I use Red Sea alk, cal, mag, and 4 part trace elements. Pods in the fuge. That’s it. It’s been working great. Pro water change people don’t like hearing it tho.
I change 2% twice a week, its nothing on the grand scale, in fact my salt costs me 60 bucks a year 90 gallon. I have similar CUC, no fuge, no skimmer, no sump, no cannister. Don't dose whatsoever...pro mech filtration folks don't like hearing that either....

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saddest part about "rising freight cost" for me, is that the drivers get nothing from it. We eat the higher fuel cost, higher insurance rates, higher maintenance costs, and our base income actually goes down. The profit margin for independent drivers has gone down to a point where most drivers can't compete and stay afloat, allowing large companies who run their businesses on the backs of students with little or NO experience, to snatch HUGE portions of the market while paying little to nothing to actually move the cargo. Unfortunately, there are also drivers out there who will take any load at any rate. This also drives driver pay rates down as shippers will always go for the lowest possible cost whenever possible. After all, why pay a driver what he's worth if I can pay this guy less to move the cargo? He probably has no experience and the load may never arrive, but that is what insurance is for.

Don't think this trend affects you? Consider this. Everything.. and I mean that word absolutely literally EVERYTHING you own, eat, consume, wear, buy, rent, or see.. was a truck drivers responsibility at some point.

These men and women, are the most hated and disrespected people on the roadways. Constantly dealing with unhappy motorists who hate us because we caused a few seconds delay in their lives.

Next time you have a truck in your way, instead of getting angry that he/she is slowing you down, consider this... This person is far away from home. Probably hasn't seen his family in weeks. Lives in a small box, with no shower or bathroom. Has to eat overpriced and unhealthy fast foods, while doing an extremely dangerous job in all manner of weather conditions. All to provide YOU with the items you want to have in YOUR life. And top it off, is likely not making much profit while doing it.

View Badges
1 known frag tank company went up on there tanks 150 dollars in last week ..cheaper to wait on petco 1 a gallon and get a 40 gallon breeder..or just get 40 gallon breeder cheaper then there's 20 gallon frag tank..cheaper I mean saving around 100 dollar's cheaper

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These men and women, are the most hated and disrespected people on the roadways. Constantly dealing with unhappy motorists who hate us because we caused a few seconds delay in their lives.
And no offense, but a lot of them have earned this. Not because they caused a few seconds delay - but because they've danged near killed many of us with their horrendous driving skills. Not to turn this into a rant, but you did make a point of bringing it up, so...

And just FYI, personally I always give trucks a wide berth, always make a point of stopping to let them into traffic when I can see they're struggling (and every other driver is completely oblivious to their plight) and make a point of making myself as highly visible as possible at all times.

So yes, it sucks if the "extra freight cost" is simply lining corporate's pockets. But is the scenario really any different than the continual outsourcing to the Pacific Rim? People shop at Walmart for a reason - and it's not because of their stellar customer service...

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saddest part about "rising freight cost" for me, is that the drivers get nothing from it. We eat the higher fuel cost, higher insurance rates, higher maintenance costs, and our base income actually goes down. The profit margin for independent drivers has gone down to a point where most drivers can't compete and stay afloat, allowing large companies who run their businesses on the backs of students with little or NO experience, to snatch HUGE portions of the market while paying little to nothing to actually move the cargo. Unfortunately, there are also drivers out there who will take any load at any rate. This also drives driver pay rates down as shippers will always go for the lowest possible cost whenever possible. After all, why pay a driver what he's worth if I can pay this guy less to move the cargo? He probably has no experience and the load may never arrive, but that is what insurance is for.

Don't think this trend affects you? Consider this. Everything.. and I mean that word absolutely literally EVERYTHING you own, eat, consume, wear, buy, rent, or see.. was a truck drivers responsibility at some point.

Next time you have a truck in your way, instead of getting angry that he/she is slowing you down, consider this... This person is far away from home. Probably hasn't seen his family in weeks. Lives in a small box, with no shower or bathroom. Has to eat overpriced and unhealthy fast foods, while doing an extremely dangerous job in all manner of weather conditions. All to provide YOU with the items you want to have in YOUR life. And top it off, is likely not making much profit while doing it.
Preach it....makes you extra happy to get home to your reef I bet! Not a moment but a few hours of bliss, in between the grind....

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no offense, but a lot of them have earned this. Not because they caused a few seconds delay - but because they've danged near killed many of us with their horrendous driving skills. Not to turn this into a rant, but you did make a point of bringing it up, so...

And just FYI, personally I always give trucks a wide berth, always make a point of stopping to let them into traffic when I can see they're struggling (and every other driver is completely oblivious to their plight) and make a point of making myself as highly visible as possible at all times.
Well yes true in some respects....and kudos for allowing them the space....he drives trucks, and wants his reef at home, give the fella his rant lol. ;)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I absolutely agree. Many of the drivers on the roadways today are the most inexperienced drivers ever. Which of course brings us back the my original point. The rising costs vs. the dropping of the pay scale has forced many of the most experienced and safest drivers to get out of the business.

To your second point, Kudos to you! We need the space. We don't accelerate like a racecar and don't stop on a dime. This is an 80,000 pound killing machine!!! Some of the antics done by 4 wheelers is not only dangerous but also flat illegal. Some states will actually ticket you for ANY unsafe behavior around trucks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back