COST OF SALT RISING

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree. Many of the drivers on the roadways today are the most inexperienced drivers ever. Which of course brings us back the my original point. The rising costs vs. the dropping of the pay scale has forced many of the most experienced and safest drivers to get out of the business.

To your second point, Kudos to you! We need the space. We don't accelerate like a racecar and don't stop on a dime. This is an 80,000 pound killing machine!!! Some of the antics done by 4 wheelers is not only dangerous but also flat illegal. Some states will actually ticket you for ANY unsafe behavior around trucks.
I saw the inexperienced trucker scenario many years ago. We loved when the experienced guy pulled into our door yard after a long run. They could actually back up the 53 foot trailer with sleeper without jackknifing it in the road. Then they started sending the young guys and they didn't have the experience yet.

Once the price of gas went up many years ago, the shipping company started putting the load on the railroad. The local truckers could pick up the load one state away, no more 53 foot trailer and they were usually the same guy driving so he knew where to back in.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz went from $70.00 to $75.00.
Seems reasonable and fair.
If someone jacks the price to far, just say no.
When they lose turns, they will have a sale.
Always keep in mind….Fritz is made in the US.
Salts made overseas have much higher transport costs, which are past onto the consumer.
And salt is salt.
Salt is not salt.... as much as I would love to agree, switching salts can wipe out a reef, cause algae issues etc.... I wish I could just jump back an forth to the cheapest/ best salt.

Stability is the key.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just put your foot down and don’t do significant water changes. I do 8g every 3 months just to clean out the sump debris.

I also don’t use anything but 2 part. I am guessing trace elements make their way into the tank somewhat from feeding the fish.

I grow macro for nitrate and po4 control.

Tanks don’t need to be as complicated as YouTube videos suggest.

4C5BA96E-FCD5-4AFA-8D8F-ACB9BB912E56.jpeg
Seems to me, that with fuel costs rising like crazy, the backlog of transportation of goods (due to multiple international factors), that salt prices along with everything else. If (people here) want to stop the 'greedy CEO's', etc, the easy way would be to use less salt (i.e. if the price goes up, use 30 % less. IMHO - thats a nice tank Tamberev. Its probably easier to do water changes less if you do not have many fish in the tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me, that with fuel costs rising like crazy, the backlog of transportation of goods (due to multiple international factors), that salt prices along with everything else. If (people here) want to stop the 'greedy CEO's', etc, the easy way would be to use less salt (i.e. if the price goes up, use 30 % less. IMHO - thats a nice tank Tamberev. Its probably easier to do water changes less if you do not have many fish in the tank.
I actually have tons of fish but they were all hiding because I turned off the flow and last time I did that… I removed them all for a transfer lol

I have a 20g fast growing fuge of macro which handles the bioload.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A couple of bigger salt manufacturers (instant ocean Marineland) have made releases stating that the cost of salt will be going up by almost 1/3 of current price.

Apparently Many LFS are fighting back. And the rumour is this is all thanks to “covid inflation”. Example, bucket of instant ocean 5gal pale size (160 gallon of salt mix) is going up by approximately $30.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen much news of this on Reef2reef.... although a lot of local reefers or now spreading the word. This could be bad for the hobby.

Any others hear such rumours?
I have looked - I have seen no 'releases' with this information. (certainly not 33 percent). There seem to be a number of websites offering a wide variety of prices of salt. The salt I use (Brightwell Neomarine) has not really gone up much in price. I see Instant Ocean on Chewy for 37.99

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked - I have seen no 'releases' with this information. (certainly not 33 percent). There seem to be a number of websites offering a wide variety of prices of salt. The salt I use (Brightwell Neomarine) has not really gone up much in price. I see Instant Ocean on Chewy for 37.99
Wait for it.....you will see.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is not salt.... as much as I would love to agree, switching salts can wipe out a reef, cause algae issues etc.... I wish I could just jump back an forth to the cheapest/ best salt.

Stability is the key.
Changing salts is quite easy if you match your parameters.
If you can wipe out a tank by just changing salt, your doing something wrong.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait for it.....you will see.
Just my opinion, posting something like this causing 3 or 4 pages of discussion, with no evidence' seems unfair on a couple levels. As far as I can see, there is no evidence that salt prices are going to increase across the board - so as you said - will have to wait and see. I don't see it as a big deal anyway. Just use less salt.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of bigger salt manufacturers (instant ocean Marineland) have made releases stating that the cost of salt will be going up by almost 1/3 of current price.

Apparently Many LFS are fighting back. And the rumour is this is all thanks to “covid inflation”. Example, bucket of instant ocean 5gal pale size (160 gallon of salt mix) is going up by approximately $30.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen much news of this on Reef2reef.... although a lot of local reefers or now spreading the word. This could be bad for the hobby.

Any others hear such rumours?

Global supply chains across the world are having bottlenecks. Prices a likely a temporary jump until the pandemic has been resolved and bottlenecks open up. Most of the world is not vaccinated so the pandemic is still greatly affecting the world and causing these prices to rise.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, posting something like this causing 3 or 4 pages of discussion, with no evidence' seems unfair on a couple levels. As far as I can see, there is no evidence that salt prices are going to increase across the board - so as you said - will have to wait and see. I don't see it as a big deal anyway. Just use less salt.
Salt manufacturers have apparently given heads up to LFS’s. And shortages have already been going on for some time due to covid.

This is an important discussion to have, by no means is it unfair....LOL!

When prices jump You will be aware.

Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chewy has buy 3 get 4th box free right now for IO salt. Cheapest I have found tho is the Petco IO 160g buckets, if you do order pickup they are $30 each.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salt manufacturers have apparently given heads up to LFS’s. And shortages have already been going on for some time due to covid.

This is an important discussion to have, by no means is it unfair....LOL!

When prices jump You will be aware.
What is 'unfair' IMHO, is to call out 'a couple' manufacturers that are 'supposedly' raising their prices by 30 percent with no documentation. What this leads to is (without substantiation) - to shortages, hoarding, switching to another salt, etc - and long drawn out discussions like this one LOL

EDIT - this sounded much more snarky that I meant it to be. If you google instant ocean salt price rises - it seems to come up every now and then that they raising prices by xxx - but - they never seem to change 'that much'. My guess is that places like Chewy will not raise prices that much - but agree that LFS' with lower volume might need to -

Last edited:
OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is 'unfair' IMHO, is to call out 'a couple' manufacturers that are 'supposedly' raising their prices by 30 percent with no documentation. What this leads to is (without substantiation) - to shortages, hoarding, switching to another salt, etc - and long drawn out discussions like this one LOL

EDIT - this sounded much more snarky that I meant it to be. If you google instant ocean salt price rises - it seems to come up every now and then that they raising prices by xxx - but - they never seem to change 'that much'. My guess is that places like Chewy will not raise prices that much - but agree that LFS' with lower volume might need to -
I just brought all of this up to create discussion and definitely not to fear monger.
Simply to create discussion about rumours I had heard that concerned me.
I sincerely hope the price jacking does not occur.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chewy has buy 3 get 4th box free right now for IO salt. Cheapest I have found tho is the Petco IO 160g buckets, if you do order pickup they are $30 each.
The price jacking hasn’t not started yet. Wait for a couple of months.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back