Could a clownfish use a BTA as a "safe" haven from other fish aggression?

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems Tony Starcki, my starcki damsel has now officially claimed king of the reef. He was always picking on Thanos (royal gramma) and sometimes Cheeto (clownfish).

Well for the most part Cheeto held his own, but the other day Cheeto seemed to have a busted-up jaw and he is now very skittish w/ Tony.

Curious, could a BTA be a safe haven for Chetto? A place where he can relax and know Tony will stay away do it's the BTA's stingers?

And of course, I know there is no guarantee that Cheeto will host the BTA.

SideTrack of the day: This reminds me of the cartoon as a kid where the person has a mouse in the house... get's a cat who becomes an issue.. get's a dog to get rid of the cat.... continually adding another animal to scare the other away.. Finally he gets a mouse again to get rid of the elephant...

Something tells me I get a BTA who will be moon walking all over my dam tank, leaving a path of death and destruction.

Thanks in advance!

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, yeah, that’s why they do it. Considering he’s skittish and timid it may have higher probability to host out of that instinct. As you said though, no guarantees. When I get clowns in I put them next to my hosting clowns in a acclimation box and boom, they got it.

Definitely worth a shot

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems Tony Starcki, my starcki damsel has now officially claimed king of the reef. He was always picking on Thanos (royal gramma) and sometimes Cheeto (clownfish).

Well for the most part Cheeto held his own, but the other day Cheeto seemed to have a busted-up jaw and he is now very skittish w/ Tony.

Curious, could a BTA be a safe haven for Chetto? A place where he can relax and know Tony will stay away do it's the BTA's stingers?

And of course, I know there is no guarantee that Cheeto will host the BTA.

SideTrack of the day: This reminds me of the cartoon as a kid where the person has a mouse in the house... get's a cat who becomes an issue.. get's a dog to get rid of the cat.... continually adding another animal to scare the other away.. Finally he gets a mouse again to get rid of the elephant...

Something tells me I get a BTA who will be moon walking all over my dam tank, leaving a path of death and destruction.

Thanks in advance!
Did you ever get the BTA?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone should never be used as a problem solver. There's not even close to a guarantee that they will even host the fish you have. I have multiple anemone and it took my clowns 2 years before they were eventually hosted.

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown pair laugh at my (mildly) aggressive flame angel from the safety of their nem. She tries to mess with them sometimes but they just giggle in their host. But, getting them to enter the nem can take a long time or may never happen.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get the BTA?
I did not. I had a nice size Trachy on order but the vendor had to cxl do to it getting into a fight w/ a torch (and lost).

I also have a few other frags coming but they been placed on hold due to poor weather here in the North East.

Anemone should never be used as a problem solver. There's not even close to a guarantee that they will even host the fish you have. I have multiple anemone and it took my clowns 2 years before they were eventually hosted.
I agree with you, that would have been a bonus if it worked out but not the reason to have one. I do like how they look. I'm just a bit chicken it goes for a walk.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. I had a nice size Trachy on order but the vendor had to cxl do to it getting into a fight w/ a torch (and lost).

I also have a few other frags coming but they been placed on hold due to poor weather here in the North East.

I agree with you, that would have been a bonus if it worked out but not the reason to have one. I do like how they look. I'm just a bit chicken it goes for a walk.
Best advice I have when you and your tank are ready for a nem is to buy from a local reefer. Don't get your first from a pet store or online.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice I have when you and your tank are ready for a nem is to buy from a local reefer. Don't get your first from a pet store or online.
I'm about to say something that is stupid...

I started w/ a very sterile environment. Live Dry Rock, Dr. Tim One and Only and then bought live rubble rock to help seed the tank.

I then bought a clown (who I love) from a vendor at Reef-a-Palooza in NJ (just a few months ago). Although not quarantined the fish was aquacultured (I think that's the right term, not from the wild) which I accepted. I'm pretty certain this clown brought ich. Every so often I will see a white spot on it and then gone. He eats and is a fatso and I have a UV that from my understanding could suppress it.

Few months later I add a royal gramma and a damselfish from LA's DD. The only corals I ever bought have been from "high-end" online venders (JasonFox, UltraCorals, WWC, ect.) where I like to believe they run a tight ship.

One torch and all my inverts came from a local LFS (Reefco) who has a reputable reputation in NJ.

This long explanation is to say, I think I don't trust 9 out of 10 reefers. I assume that most have acceptable pests. I rather order one from a vendor. Now if I personally knew someone that would be different. I think. Perhaps I'm wrong....

Just curious why do you say a local reefer?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back