Could be bryopsis?

enrico.garitta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
This is Enrico from Italy, i recently started my first reef aquarium (since October more or less).
I bought some fiji live rocks from someone tank and that rocks unfortunately had some algae in it that at that time I didn't considered as a "invasive species".
Month have follewed and still i haven't been able to finally remove this algae.
I lowered the illumination time per some month, added a dolabella (who actually didn't liked so much this algae), a turbo snail, macroalgae to compete.
I think this is bryopsis so i started the fluconazole treatment i've read on this forum (5mg/L), i added 450 mg to my 70x30x44h dsb tank and waited about 10 days.
The algae seems suffering but definitely not dead.
Today i added 150 mg more fluconazole to be sure i didn't get wrong with my calculations.

This is from the day i started fluconazole
IMG_20220308_125751.jpg

Today
IMG_20220319_110539.jpg

Some details
IMG_20220313_140227.jpg

IMG_20220310_130208.jpg

IMG_20220308_125955.jpg

Thank you all for your support, sorry about any langues mistake i may have done.
I hope you can understand me anyway!

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
You should also go in and manually remove as much as possible from the rocks. Making sure you take the algae out of the tank as you clean it. This video from BRS is helpful,

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
emerald crabs, pitho crabs, lettuce nudibranch will eat it. upsetting the sea hare didn't touch it...mine did, before it died of a nutrient spike.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta manually remove as much as possible. The chemicals treatment should have weakened it. Raising magnesium to 1500 will help kill it to. Turbo snails were effective on mine as well as urchins.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should definitely try a holloween urchin. It will mow that algae down and keep it under control in no time. Tuxedos are nice but they’re not as effective.

OP
OP
E

enrico.garitta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your tips!
Lately I've tried putting 5ml of algexit on my tank, that wasn't a good idea after all.
All the corals didn't like it and get closed for some days, now they're all going well except for anthelia, it probably will dye definitely.
Still, the algae is alive but weakened i guess.
@shakacuz actually my dolabella did eat some of it but then she get sick for some reason and died, i'm suspect that could be the algae

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@shakacuz actually my dolabella did eat some of it but then she get sick for some reason and died, i'm suspect that could be the algae
that's unfortunate, and a bit interesting... maybe mine also got sick and died after eating bryopsis? in which cause a nutrient spike perhaps? hm...

OP
OP
E

enrico.garitta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe mine also got sick and died after eating bryopsis?
I really think so, according to this
Most of bryopsis produce some kind of poison.
I'm not sure about this but the dolabella's death was quite strange to observe, she still tried to eat till the end (so she didn't starve to death) but get sicker everyday. In the end i noticed some kind of black groove on her back.
Anyway, i'm starting to think i should try put more fluconazole on my tank

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back