Could corals survive if fed exclusively with amino acids?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My understanding, all be it limited, is that corals are able to absorb amino acids directly from the water column. Does this apply to all, most, or just a few species? Hypothetically could a coral get all it's nutrition in this manner? Could some corals thrive an an all amino diet???

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding, all be it limited, is that corals are able to absorb amino acids directly from the water column. Does this apply to all, most, or just a few species? Hypothetically could a coral get all it's nutrition in this manner? Could some corals thrive an an all amino diet???
Maybe a NPS coral but that's a big maybe...other corals simply no. They receive like 87% of their nutrients from the zooxanthellae.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean no fish poop?
(And the majority of corals get most of their nutrition from light / zooxanthellae)

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe a NPS coral but that's a big maybe...other corals simply no. They receive like 87% of their nutrients from the zooxanthellae.
I guess I should have specified. . . yes they would still be getting nutrition from zooxanthellae/photosynthesis. . . but with no other food sources. . . Zooxanthellae and aminos

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have specified. . . yes they would still be getting nutrition from zooxanthellae/photosynthesis. . . but with no other food sources. . . Zooxanthellae and aminos
Do the amino products provide any ammonia/nitrogen?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then yes, definitely. Maybe not growth as optimal as if fed with other foods but yeah they'd survive just fine imo.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back