Could I automate feeding my mandarin dragonet?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am feeding my (Biota bred) mandarin dragonet a mix of Can O' Cyclops and BRS freeze dried copepods. I aim to feed her 3 times daily, but would like to feed her more. My current routine is to turn off the ATO, return pymps, skimmer, and the two powerheads and then squirt the mixture at her from a small pipet.

I am wondering if it would be as effective to make it so a timer has all the aforementioned components turn off for 15 min six times daily and an autofeeder throw the food in the tank. I noticed she is more apt to pick at the rocks versus pull the prepared foods out of the water column - meaning by the time she is picking it has dispersed throughout the tank, which the autofeeder would presumably do. I believe she is eating the prepared foods though in addition to hunting, but am not entirely sure what she is pecking at after I add the foods.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a question you'll need to test and see if it works to your satisfaction.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it would be worth a try. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

A large, established reef will indeed provide enough pods for a mandarin to eat. However, if you have a mandarin reliably eating prepared foods, it's always a good idea to at least supplement with (highly nutritious) prepared foods. It's not like it's possible to overfeed a mandy.

Where do you get your freeze-dried copepods, and do you have to soak them or anything before feeding? I could use a product like that for my new roughhead blenny. It's a very small blenny species (tops out an inch and a half) that eats mostly copepods, and I'd like to supplement the pods it can catch in my tank. It's too small to take mysis like I give my other critters, and too large to want Reef Roids.

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A large, established reef will indeed provide enough pods for a mandarin to eat. However, if you have a mandarin reliably eating prepared foods, it's always a good idea to at least supplement with (highly nutritious) prepared foods. It's not like it's possible to overfeed a mandy.

Where do you get your freeze-dried copepods, and do you have to soak them or anything before feeding? I could use a product like that for my new roughhead blenny. It's a very small blenny species (tops out an inch and a half) that eats mostly copepods, and I'd like to supplement the pods it can catch in my tank. It's too small to take mysis like I give my other critters, and too large to want Reef Roids.

I've had a tiny yellow coral goby for 4 months or so now and it eats frozen lobster eggs, I've found it a great addition to feeding the tank. You see all the other fish eating the lobster eggs too darting around. I trained a Mandarin to eat pellets but unfortunately it decided to carpet surf one day.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I get the freeze dried pods from BRS!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back