Could I get an ID on this algae/bacteria? Keeps showing up on my sandbed and can't get rid of it.

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200706_202044.jpg

Wampatom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A type of diatom. I have it in my tanks but it has never been a major problem.

OP
OP
MadTownFess

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A type of diatom. I have it in my tanks but it has never been a major problem.
It's really more of an eye sore than anything. Sand bed gets brown after 4-5 days. Thanks for your insights!

Drizzieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So typically diatom runs its course on all tanks. Particularly if your tank is on the newer side in comparison to most tanks. With that sad even with pristine water quality it’s just a bloom that subsides with time. Unfortunately it isn’t the prettiest thing to look at, but with time you’ll be off to the races with a more pristine look. As for the time being. Stick to your current water change schedule (assuming weekly or biweekly) @ around 20% and just give it time. Testing for nitrates and phosphates are also a good indicator of your tank if your tank is not on the newer side. Using test kits to determine values and high nitrates and phosphates can almost always have some sort of contribution to certain algae blooms as well. Hope this helps!

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms. They usually burn themselves out once the silicates in the system are used up. Check your RODI water for silicates.

With that said I actually dose silicates to keep some non visible population of them around. They will help with nutrient control and serve as a food source for many of your snails and CUC as well as promote pods and micro fauna. They will also help prevent amphidinium Dino’s.

OP
OP
MadTownFess

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So typically diatom runs its course on all tanks. Particularly if your tank is on the newer side in comparison to most tanks. With that sad even with pristine water quality it’s just a bloom that subsides with time. Unfortunately it isn’t the prettiest thing to look at, but with time you’ll be off to the races with a more pristine look. As for the time being. Stick to your current water change schedule (assuming weekly or biweekly) @ around 20% and just give it time. Testing for nitrates and phosphates are also a good indicator of your tank if your tank is not on the newer side. Using test kits to determine values and high nitrates and phosphates can almost always have some sort of contribution to certain algae blooms as well. Hope this helps!
My tank is 18 months old, hence why I am confused that I have it.

Back