Could I grow macor algae in a canister filter w/ semi transparent walls?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I got a Turtle Clean 30 canister filter. It's a Zoo Med filter for turtle tanks, however, after some sleuthing, it appears it is identical to the Zoo Med Nano 30 aquarium filter for fresh and saltwater. . .

ANYWAY, this filter has semi transparent walls. . . and will already have mechanical and biologic filtration covered. . . could I shine a grow light through the canister and use it as a "refugium"/algae scrubber?

I mean, I think I am going to try it anyway haha but I want to know your thoughts.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, as long as you choose a hardy species tolerant of low lighting conditions, like halymenia. I've got some growing in a jar with an airstone, but no real lighting source aside from some ambient household lighting. It's doing just fine, but it doesn't see explosive vegetative growth. This is not a wise strategy for something like halimeda.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm I guess you could but I’d opt for something made for the intended job like a algae reactor or refugium

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if you can grow macro algae, that means you can grow other algae, which will likely clog the heck out of the filter, and make it pointless

well I was really hoping to grow something like chaeto or lettuce to outcompete other algaes, similar to a refugium set up. Assuming I could get enough light into the chamber I don’t see why the macro couldn’t outcompete nuisance algaes? But I could be missing something.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I was really hoping to grow something like chaeto or lettuce to outcompete other algaes, similar to a refugium set up. Assuming I could get enough light into the chamber I don’t see why the macro couldn’t outcompete nuisance algaes? But I could be missing something.
Most forms of macroalgae don't grow quickly enough for this idea to really work in the home aquarium. If you've got an excess of nutrients in your system, and have no mechanical form of filtration, then something's going to use it. And that "thing" will probably be a nuisance species with enormous reproductive capacity, be it nuisance algas or aiptasia. If desirable forms of macroalgae could rapidly suck excess nutrients out of a system, they'd be considered pests, too.

Macroalgae are best viewed as decorative additions to the reef tank, unless you spend a lot of time developing a build where they are the priority. I think chaeto is gross and unsightly, and properly belongs only in a sump, but it comes closest to what you want macro to do.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most forms of macroalgae don't grow quickly enough for this idea to really work in the home aquarium. If you've got an excess of nutrients in your system, and have no mechanical form of filtration, then something's going to use it. And that "thing" will probably be a nuisance species with enormous reproductive capacity, be it nuisance algas or aiptasia. If desirable forms of macroalgae could rapidly suck excess nutrients out of a system, they'd be considered pests, too.

Macroalgae are best viewed as decorative additions to the reef tank, unless you spend a lot of time developing a build where they are the priority. I think chaeto is gross and unsightly, and properly belongs only in a sump, but it comes closest to what you want it to do.
I am specifically wanting to grow fast growing "sump types" of macro, not ornamental types. I have a macro tank specifically for my macros (though not sure about it's future). That said growing chaeto in my other systems (along with other methods) seems to work pretty well for keeping my nutrients low. I do dose Chaeto Grow in all my systems with macros.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am specifically wanting to grow fast growing "sump types" of macro, not ornamental types. I have a macro tank specifically for my macros (though not sure about it's future). That said growing chaeto in my other systems (along with other methods) seems to work pretty well for keeping my nutrients low. I do dose Chaeto Grow in all my systems with macros.
I see. That's probably plausible, then, as long as you had enough. A couple of months ago, I put a clump of halymenia in an empty GFO reactor in my RSR350. It didn't do much in there, but probably because there wasn't enough of it and there was no circulation of seawater to import nutrients (I took out the pump, as I didn't want it clogged). I did this because the tank is filled with ravenous herbivores that attack all forms of algae. I concluded that I could've made it work with a much larger system than the IM "midsize" reactor I used.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outcompeting idea as a way to control of algae is unlikely to work. It is another way of saying adjusting nutrients to stop algae growth which does not work either. Growing algae removes nitrate, phosphate and trace elements. Snails, urchins, fish and you remove algae.

As for improvising, sounds interesting. The challenge with macro algae growing is the right amount of light and water flow. A 5500-6500K grow light can work. Also, the darn stuff can break up a bit and pieces get all over. No big deal if your design can keep those pieces from clogging any vital pipes or outlets.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No big deal if your design can keep those pieces from clogging any vital pipes or outlets.
This was my biggest problem. I kept getting gross clumps of chaeto popping up everywhere once I tried this out in one of my displays. It was like one of those Japanese horror movies where hair starts coming out of sinks or bathtubs to strangle the heroine, just greener and stinkier.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my biggest problem. I kept getting gross clumps of chaeto popping up everywhere once I tried this out in one of my displays. It was like one of those Japanese horror movies where hair starts coming out of sinks or bathtubs to strangle the heroine, just greener and stinkier.
HaHa! I can see it happening. Did you switch to a virtual aquarium after that?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Macroalgae are best viewed as decorative additions to the reef tank, unless you spend a lot of time developing a build where they are the priority. I think chaeto is gross and unsightly, and properly belongs only in a sump, but it comes closest to what you want macro to do.

This is just wrong. I am assuming this is based off of your experience. The point of macroalgae is to be a sink for nitrogen and phosphate in an aquarium. This, as well as algae predators, work in a team. Macroalgae can and does rapidly remove nitrogen and phosphate from an aquarium. While it is true that macroalgae won't prevent display algae, it removes their fuel while tag teaming with organisms that will eat the algae.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back