Could it be? Hitchhiker porcelain crabs after 8 months?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I spotted TWO new crabs in my tank. Tiny, but I just assumed I've got more gorillas and started preparing to make traps. One managed to get just visible enough to make out what look like porcelain/anemone crab fans.

Gulf live rock went in the tank in January. That's 8 months these guys have escaped my Eye of Sauron gaze.

Anyone else feel like these are more likely porcelains than gorillas?

IMG_20220811_162227291.jpg

Pardon the photo-bombing blenny.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was clear enough to tell (sorry). If the crab is waving it's claws around like pom pomps (similar to fly fishing) then it's probably a filter feeder. Otherwise, probably something else.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was clear enough to tell (sorry). If the crab is waving it's claws around like pom pomps (similar to fly fishing) then it's probably a filter feeder. Otherwise, probably something else.
I think it might be waving/filter feeding? Vey cool.
The blenny didn't wave, what a ham! :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My midas blenny actually came out of his barnacle condo to say hello the other day - which is very unusual for him.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm putting my money on a filter feeding crab. I also count 3 legs on the exposed side so far, but it's very little, so hard to be sure. I shot some oyster feast and ROE at it, and it looked quite happy.

My midas blenny actually came out of his barnacle condo to say hello the other day - which is very unusual for him.

My tailspot is a kook. It spends most of the day darting in and out of its barnacle (it's an office tank on my desk). Likes to hover in front of the glass, staring at me. My firefish on the other hand, stays buried in the codium until the flow gets turned off for feeding time. I'll never have another tank without a blenny in it.

Back