Could lowering phosphate and nitrate be the cause of cyano

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a bit of a cyano outbreak right now it’s all on the rocks and sand my phosphates and nitrates were pretty high before
.5 phosphate salifert test kit
10 nitrate salifert test kit
Didn’t have any cyano then, started to get it the same time I was trying to lower the parameters. I siphon out the sand, clean the rocks and siphon it out but it just keeps coming back is there something else that could cause it.
Current parameters:
Alkalinity 8.9 hanna
Phosphate .20 Hanna ulr
Nitrate 2 salifert
Mag 1500 salifert
Ph 8.2 Hanna
Temp 79
Salinity 1.026
Ammonia .25 api
Nitrite 0 api

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low nitrates may aid cyano as they can get their nitrogen from the atmosphere, allowing them to tolerate ultra low nitrate. That and your high phosphate probably doesn't help. I would just feed more frozen or low phosphate food, get a phosphate remover, and also some chemiclean. You could also just do the chemiclean, then do a big water change and feed heavy while using a phosphate remover.

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low nitrates may aid cyano as they can get their nitrogen from the atmosphere, allowing them to tolerate ultra low nitrate. That and your high phosphate probably doesn't help. I would just feed more frozen or low phosphate food, get a phosphate remover, and also some chemiclean. You could also just do the chemiclean, then do a big water change and feed heavy while using a phosphate remover.
My phosphates were a lot higher before when I didn’t have cyano issues, tested on salifert it was .5 wanted to lower it so I went out and got the Hanna ulr and tested before anything and it was either .90 or above, being .90 is the highest it reads. Then I lowered phosphate with phosphaterx and it’s stable around .20 .24 I’m going to put some gfo to lower and maintain it. Do I still feed food with phosphate?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got cyano just from bringing nitrates down from really high to high

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates were a lot higher before when I didn’t have cyano issues, tested on salifert it was .5 wanted to lower it so I went out and got the Hanna ulr and tested before anything and it was either .90 or above, being .90 is the highest it reads. Then I lowered phosphate with phosphaterx and it’s stable around .20 .24 I’m going to put some gfo to lower and maintain it. Do I still feed food with phosphate?

you can still feed whatever you feed as long as you have some way to keep phosphates in check

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back