Could my fish have flukes

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, been doing heaps of reading the last couple weeks and am finally ready to ask some questions.

I have not quarantined any of my fish, I know a mistake which I'm not planning on making again.

I think my Orange Shoulder Tang may have flukes.

I noticed recently its gills have been going nuts, and every now and then it will dive into the sand. I have had the fish for more than a year but i think the symptoms have been getting worse. Is there anything I can or should do?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, been doing heaps of reading the last couple weeks and am finally ready to ask some questions.

I have not quarantined any of my fish, I know a mistake which I'm not planning on making again.

I think my Orange Shoulder Tang may have flukes.

I noticed recently its gills have been going nuts, and every now and then it will dive into the sand. I have had the fish for more than a year but i think the symptoms have been getting worse. Is there anything I can or should do?
Is it heavy breathing?
Also when did you add the newest fish and/or coral

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it heavy breathing?
Also when did you add the newest fish and/or coral
Last fish and coral were December of last year. Is heavy breathing associated with the gills moving fast or the mouth moving fast or both. I would say the mouth is moving faster than the other fish, but I have had oxygen issues in the past and its not as fast as when that happened. Would a video help?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last fish and coral were December of last year. Is heavy breathing associated with the gills moving fast or the mouth moving fast or both. I would say the mouth is moving faster than the other fish, but I have had oxygen issues in the past and its not as fast as when that happened. Would a video help?
Yes a video would help, heavy breathing is where the gills are moving at over 100 beats per minute

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish with flukes will often yawn off and on as well. Search the freshwater dip method for flukes on here.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be unusual for flukes to show up after a year of no symptoms, but sometimes fish can compensate with a minor infection, and then some (unidentified) stressor comes up and the number of flukes on the fish increases and the symptoms get worse. A short video would certainly help tell us something (taken under white light).

Jay

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish with flukes will often yawn off and on as well. Search the freshwater dip method for flukes on here.
That’s the issue, flukes and velvet both fall off in the Fresh water dip but if they don’t then it could be a suspected white spot breakout

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, sorry about not getting back to you guys quickly my day got super busy. I really appreciate everyones help. I just wanted to say I believe it is 100% flukes, the gills are moving too fast and he is going to the top of the tank to breathe every 10 minutes or so. I do not have access to prazipro in Australia, with that in mind do you guys think dosing General Cure to the display tank or doing a freshwater dip or a combination of the two is the best approach. I am reluctant to pull him out of the display because my filter and heater for QT tank broke and I need to replace it. I would imagine if the Orange shoulder tang has it after this long some other fish must have too, which makes treating the display more appealing. I have a range of coral, 2 abalone, snail and starfish. I googled General Cure and the official website says its reef safe but I am reading individual posts saying otherwise - Experiences would be very welcome.

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the issue, flukes and velvet both fall off in the Fresh water dip but if they don’t then it could be a suspected white spot breakout
Can there be a whitespot breakout without seeing the actual white spots? I tested the water and noticed suddenly the kh went super low (5.6 from 7-8) and the calcium went super high - too high for my test kit to read (a red sea kit). Could this cause the outbreak suddenly?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sometimes you may not see white spot. Its an immune response. I doubt you wouldn't at least notice one spot though. Ammonia issues can cause low alk but so can other things. How much I haven't figured. Did you test anything else? Test ph? If you are really really really 100% sure. Could maybe get ahold of levamisole. I would consider ruling everything else out first.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy breathing is leading me to velvet (You don’t always see the spots but if you do then it’ll look like a fine dust) Flukes will often also end up with white spots showing up (Similar to Ich)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back