Could really use your options. First time reefer and this is my first try at a build.

ohuru-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could really use your options. First time reefer and this is my first try at a build. Going in my new Red Sea 425 XL

584A25B2-CE93-4233-B0B3-1DD6FBC07DF6.jpeg B696863B-0442-4E73-96F6-5E445D4B7AAD.jpeg DCDB6EF4-4572-4F9C-B0AB-5C0B4E36B2D0.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks really good to me. I wish I'd planned that well. What are you using to attach the rocks together?

OP
OP
O

ohuru-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m using An epoxy my LFS referred to me. I went with it because it matched my rock. I’m wondering if I should couple it with a glue as well.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m using An epoxy my LFS referred to me. I went with it because it matched my rock. I’m wondering if I should couple it with a glue as well.
My experience with epoxy is that it loses its grip after a few months. Superglueing both sides helps but you may need something more permanent for that rock work. Though that depends somewhat on what fish you have.
I don't like recommending BRS particularly but this may be worth a watch:

OP
OP
O

ohuru-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to watch out for is to make sure you leave room between the glass and rock, so you can clean it.
I used the top of the crate to give me an idea of the tank dimensions so I should be ok. My biggest concern was flow and dead spots. Going back and forward between 2 reefwav 25 or 2 mp40s

OP
OP
O

ohuru-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with epoxy is that it loses its grip after a few months. Superglueing both sides helps but you may need something more permanent for that rock work. Though that depends somewhat on what fish you have.
I don't like recommending BRS particularly but this may be worth a watch:

Thanks, I’ll check that out!

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could really use your options. First time reefer and this is my first try at a build. Going in my new Red Sea 425 XL

584A25B2-CE93-4233-B0B3-1DD6FBC07DF6.jpeg B696863B-0442-4E73-96F6-5E445D4B7AAD.jpeg DCDB6EF4-4572-4F9C-B0AB-5C0B4E36B2D0.jpeg
Few comments I'd thought of:
- I've had great experience with epoxy and essentially has lasted forever. It is not an adhesive though so it essentially "grabs" the rock to hold onto it. So if you are rough with the scape it could break from the epoxy. Eventually the coraline will help glue things together but initially it'll be somewhat fragile.
- Are you running bare bottom or sand? If you are doing sand make sure to put the rocks on the bottom directly and put the sand in last. This prevents settling, breakage, and avoids a rockslide disaster.
- You can always adjust but having the residual rocks in the front will restrict the flow over the bottom. This leads to cyano which isn't as pretty as the white sand.
- If you plan on a clam make sure you concoct a place to put one. If it is a derasa it should hit the sand so needs a place there. If you plan to get a Maxima or many others you should set something up so it can be planted on the rockwork somewhere.
- Last is placement, the smaller fish like small places to chill/sleep. Hard to tell exactly but also make sure to have the rocks swept back so you have places to put coral that aren't shaded by the tier above as much as possible.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just epoxy in my first two tank and it was just okay, I struggled to get it super structurally sound and hide the epoxy - I followed the BRS method in the video for my big tank and it is ridiculously solid. Will only use that method from now on.
I also recommend leaving space to clean behind rocks but I always do a bad job at that

layout looks great!

OP
OP
O

ohuru-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few comments I'd thought of:
- I've had great experience with epoxy and essentially has lasted forever. It is not an adhesive though so it essentially "grabs" the rock to hold onto it. So if you are rough with the scape it could break from the epoxy. Eventually the coraline will help glue things together but initially it'll be somewhat fragile.
- Are you running bare bottom or sand? If you are doing sand make sure to put the rocks on the bottom directly and put the sand in last. This prevents settling, breakage, and avoids a rockslide disaster.
- You can always adjust but having the residual rocks in the front will restrict the flow over the bottom. This leads to cyano which isn't as pretty as the white sand.
- If you plan on a clam make sure you concoct a place to put one. If it is a derasa it should hit the sand so needs a place there. If you plan to get a Maxima or many others you should set something up so it can be planted on the rockwork somewhere.
- Last is placement, the smaller fish like small places to chill/sleep. Hard to tell exactly but also make sure to have the rocks swept back so you have places to put coral that aren't shaded by the tier above as much as possible.
Good stuff! Will put it all into consideration as I continue to modify and alter the rock for its final draft. Will be using sand and already planned to go rock first. As for the glue, any brand recommendations?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back