Could this be ich or something else?

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, have noticed today a small growth/pimple on side of my blue tang. There are also 2 small white marks on his side fin that you can see in the video. The mark on his body shows white in the video but its definitely not. Any idea?? Also noticed ot was swimming past some rocks on its side kinda like he was scratching. Still eating well and swimming as normal. All other fish show no signs of anything and all looking great.

Screenshot_20210514-201303_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see anything in the videos, and in the still pic, the spots I see aren't ich. Doesn't mean the fish doesn't have ich, just that it isn't visible.

Scratching in a fish that wasn't scratching before is a symptom to watch though. How long have you had this fish and when was the last time you added a new fish to this tank? It could be just a scrape mark, but the fish could also have flukes (which cannot be seen in the early stages).

Jay

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see anything in the videos, and in the still pic, the spots I see aren't ich. Doesn't mean the fish doesn't have ich, just that it isn't visible.

Scratching in a fish that wasn't scratching before is a symptom to watch though. How long have you had this fish and when was the last time you added a new fish to this tank? It could be just a scrape mark, but the fish could also have flukes (which cannot be seen in the early stages).

Jay
Does this help?

Its been in there for around 12 weeks.

Have recently added a chestnut blenny and a Allan's sand sifter goby. Both are fine and have no visible marks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this help?

Its been in there for around 12 weeks.

Have recently added a chestnut blenny and a Allan's sand sifter goby. Both are fine and have no visible marks.

The spots all seem too large to be ich. One clue; if the same spots are in the same location for longer than around 36 hours, it isn't ich. If the spots come and go and change in mumber, then it is more likely to be ich.

Jay

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots all seem too large to be ich. One clue; if the same spots are in the same location for longer than around 36 hours, it isn't ich. If the spots come and go and change in mumber, then it is more likely to be ich.

Jay
Hi Jay,

He has 1 spot on his body its quite big yes to be ich. Think he may have snagged himself. Will watch this over the next 3 days for any change.. but 2 small white dots on his fins have kinda always been there.

The scratching in new thought and first time I had seen his do it tonight.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scratching *could* be from flukes, but the white spots are typically not related to flukes, they may just be "dings" that the fish received at some point. Flukes can be treated with praziquantel, but I'm not sure what products you have available to you.

Jay

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scratching *could* be from flukes, but the white spots are typically not related to flukes, they may just be "dings" that the fish received at some point. Flukes can be treated with praziquantel, but I'm not sure what products you have available to you.

Jay
Hi jay,

So tried to catch him for a FW dip but way to fast and just hides in cave.

However since then I have not noticed any white dots/marks or anything abnormal. He appears to be healthy and the scratching has stopped completely. So.not sure what it could have been.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a while back about this same tang and it appears it went away (some white marks) it was actually wounds that were on the fish from the rock work healing up great. However have noticed a few white dots on the tangs eye. Managed to give him a freshwater dip but nothing came off him. Only see 2 or so dots on one eye its not inner cataract either looks more surface of the eye, should I watch this space for a few days?

He has been eating fine before and after I caught him, might of stressed him a little trying to catch him as he is bloody fast that's forsure. All other fish are healthy and 2 additional fish were added just over 3 weeks ago which 1 died due to getting large pieces of sand caught in his mouth and guess he drowned it was a sand sifter goby.

All parameters are fine no changes.
@Jay Hemdal or anyone else

Thanks in advance again
20210601_174033.jpg 20210601_174601.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These spots *seem* to be too large to be ich, but it is tough to say from a photo. Same drill as before I think - just watch them to see if they drop off in 35 hours, and if new spots pop up (that implies ich). Since they didn't drop off during the FW dip, I think you can rule out eye flukes (Neobenedenia).

Jay

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These spots *seem* to be too large to be ich, but it is tough to say from a photo. Same drill as before I think - just watch them to see if they drop off in 35 hours, and if new spots pop up (that implies ich). Since they didn't drop off during the FW dip, I think you can rule out eye flukes (Neobenedenia).

Jay
Thanks Jay, will monitor over the next 3 days. Hopefully nothing as im due to head away in 3 days. For a few days.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back